- Requisition #:
- Johns Hopkins Intrastaff, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Allied Health/Clinical Professional
Johns Hopkins Intrastaff is the internal staffing agency for the Johns Hopkins Health System and partner hospitals, providing temporary support to a variety of the Johns Hopkins locations. Our employees are the strength of our service. Intrastaff is unique because it's one of the very few agencies where a person has the benefit of being a temporary employee and also feels like a member of a large organization. Working at Hopkins means joining a culturally diverse team that includes some of the best nurses, physicians and allied health professionals in the world. Directly or indirectly, you'll have exposure to cutting-edge technology and groundbreaking medical research.
The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for assisting central pharmacists and technicians in the delivery of medications and pharmaceutical products under direct supervision of a Pharmacist. Documents and updates documentation on various pharmaceutical products that are loaded in the automated dispensing machines. Communicates with pharmacy staff and nurses about medication when necessary and appropriate.
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Shift: 8PM-8AM 7ON/7OFF ; some weekends and holiday rotations when needed.
- Delivers all batched, pre-packaged, IV, controlled substance medications to designated units in a timely manner based on current standard operating procedures.
- Deliver STAT medications to designated units as soon as medications are verified.
- Counts, packages, labels unit doses for inspection by pharmacist.
- Fills routine orders for non- prescription pharmaceuticals.
- Replenishes medicine supply carts for nursing units.
- Reports all medication delivery discrepancies, automated dispensing machine operational issues, and low floor inventory to the Pharmacy Technician supervisor or designee.
- Responsible for attending daily shift change to report updates regarding medication delivery, automated dispensing machines, and unit inspections.
- Responsible for performing routine unit inspections of all medications located in the automated dispensing machines.
- Removes all expired medications and disposes of all expired medications monthly and documents this activity properly according to current departmental policies.
- Assist leadership team in carrying out newly implemented departmental policy and procedures.
- Following closely prescribed procedures, prepares and delivers patient medicines under the supervision of registered pharmacists.
- Cleans and maintains equipment as assigned by departmental leadership.
- Documents cleaning per area policy.
- Follows manufacturer's guidelines when trouble-shooting, maintaining, and repairing automated systems used by the pharmacy in the preparation and dispensing of medications.
- Arranges for repairs of equipment as directed by supervisor.
- Knows the appropriate people to contact in the event of an equipment malfunction or alerts and when to contact them.
- Ensures proper maintenance, including temperature monitoring, and cleanliness of refrigerators.
- Perform required monitoring and documentation of equipment maintenance as required by departmental policy and regulations.
- Able to troubleshoot minor Pyxis MedStation and other technology/ automation equipment issues without assistance, e.g., changing printer paper, recovering failed drawers, swapping out cubies.
- Answers and handles phone calls.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
Six months of previous experience preferred.
Must be registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the MD Board of Pharmacy and have a current PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) certification.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.