Administrative Laboratory Technician - Dermatology
Requisition #: 191916
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Allied Health/Clinical Professional
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Limited (20 - 29)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Dec. 4, 2019
The Administrative Laboratory Technician reports to the Sr. Medical Office Coordinator. Responsible for facilitating the exchange of information between customers: patients, families, healthcare teams, other departments, vendors, billing, or outside agencies. Serves as an initial point of contact for customers either in person or by phone and handles all administrative (non-technical) aspects of the patient encounter and maintains accurate information on each patient to facilitate encounter. Receives specimens, verifies proper patient identification on specimens, requisition and associated documentation. Reviews documentation to ensure for adequate and accurate information. Enters patient and specimen information into the Epic Beaker and generates a unique accession number, for the specimen/requisition labels, and tissue cassettes. Assigns each specimen to the correct fellow and Attending Pathologist. Is responsible for ensuring each specimen is given to the correct fellow in a timely manner. Investigates, corrects, and documents discrepant/problem specimens to ensure the highest quality and patient safety as described in departmental procedures. Responsible for the accurate and timely transcription and billing of Pathology diagnostic work. Has a knowledge of Pathology CPT coding to apply correct billing of basic procedure codes. Demonstrates a clear understanding of the billing rules to correctly code/bill routine technical and professional fee work. Responsible for quality assurance by verification of patient demographics. Responsible for the cataloguing and maintaining an extensive archival collection of materials, including microscopic slides, paraffin blocks, and permanent save wet tissue. Ensures a clean, orderly laboratory and archival area. Responsible for delivering materials to specified location as requested. Maybe required to perform other clerical support duties as assigned.
Assigned duties involve strong customer service including but not limited to: calls for reports, specimens, interface with patients, clinicians, internal contacts and outside institutions. Required to interact with house and support staff, attending pathologists, physicians/surgeons and other service users. Accountable for standards of service excellence including patient and or interpersonal relations, teamwork, communication, continuous performance improvement and self management and accountability. Understand HIPAA and departmental specific policies related to medical records, including any discussion, faxing and handling of patient medical records. Responsible for facilitating information exchange.
Limited, 20 hours per week
Day Shift (hours vary)
Work Location: 600 N. Wolfe Street, Blalock Building, Room 907, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
High School Diploma or GED required. Successful completion of a Medical Terminology Training course, highly desired.
Two years customer service or administrative or outside experience as Laboratory Technician required, and successful demonstration of the required skills.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle detailed information under tight deadlines.
- Must have good reasoning ability.
- Ability to work independently.
- Responsible for performing competency testing (biennially for new employees employed less than one year) when scheduled.
- Adapts to changes in processes, accepting approved changes and learning new tasks.
- Knowledge of computers, data entry, fax machine, photo-copy machine and other general office equipment.
- Analytical ability to work with numbers and accuracy is essential.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to interact with patients, clinicians and other staff.
- Understand implications of incorrect entries and effects on patient diagnoses and billing.
- Organized, knowledge of record keeping and filing.
- Familiar with web based applications and can easily develop skills on new systems, such as Federal Express or UPS tracking software.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships within a confined area.
- Position requires frequent use of the telephone, while multi-tasking to retrieve or review information from the computer in order to assist callers quickly and confidentially.
- Must be able to communicate confidential information in a clear, concise, and professional manner to a diverse audience.
- Staff may be required to complete annual competency review, and must insure compliance with Hospital Policy, Laboratory Policy & Procedure, Health, Safety & Environment regulations, and all applicable privacy & confidentiality laws/practices.
"Johns Hopkins Hospital is a Smoke Free Campus"
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.