Associate Vice President, Cost of Care (Strategic Initiatives)
Requisition #: 285027
Location: Johns Hopkins Health Care,
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Nov. 14, 2020
Johns Hopkins HealthCare (JHHC) is the managed care and health services business of Johns Hopkins Medicine, one of the premier health delivery, academic, and research institutions in the United States. JHHC is a $2.5B business serving over 400,000 lives with lines of business in Medicaid, Medicare, commercial, military health, health solutions, and venture investments. JHHC has become a leader in provider-sponsored health plans and is poised for future growth.
Many organizations talk about transforming the future of healthcare, Johns Hopkins HealthCare is actually doing it. We develop innovative, analytics-driven health programs in collaboration with provider partners to drive improved quality and better health outcomes for the members and communities we serve. If you are interested in improving how healthcare is delivered, join the JHHC team.
The Associate Vice President, Cost of Care under the leadership of Chief Financial Officer is responsible for long-range planning, program development, problem solving, and staff development for the Cost of Care Program for the health plan. This role serves as the central leader for Cost of Care governance and the overall framework for Cost of Care planning and execution by accountable parties. The AVP Cost of Care must be able to engage with a broad range of internal stakeholders including executive audiences to communicate objectives, provide direction for planning and problem-solving, monitor progress, gain consensus, and enforce accountability for Cost of Care attainment. They must possess strong understanding of medical cost management, extensive experience with portfolio management in the health plan setting, and demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Task requirements for position:
- Plan, implement, and administer a framework for annual and long-range Cost of Care goal attainment aligning to JHHC’s financial plan and strategic objectives
- Collaborate with LOB and Shared Services leaders to establish roles, responsibilities, and accountability relationships for Cost of Care execution
- Provide program integration, including resource prioritization, across multiple verticals and lines of business to optimize resources and alignment to strategic priorities
- Establish a framework for ideation of new Cost of Care initiatives within an annual planning lifecycle to address short- and long-range strategic objectives
- Assist stakeholders to anticipate barriers, diagnose and solve or prevent issues, including advocating for necessary resources and support to facilitate program execution
- Partner with Healthcare Economics and Actuary Team to establish financial valuation and forecasting framework, including regular and ad hoc financial reporting relating to Cost of Care
- Establish and administer a process for regulatory, legal and compliance oversight of Cost of Care activities
- Partner with the health plan Executive Leadership Team to expand Cost of Care awareness and accountability among health plan employees
- Presents JHHC and its component budget and five/ten year plans for review by the CFO JHHC, Line of Business VP’s, JHHC President, and JHHC Board of Directors.
Master’s Degree in Health Administration or Finance preferred,
- Ability to create and clearly articulate a program vision to a broad and multifaceted stakeholder audience
- Extensive knowledge of health plan cost of care processes
- Extensive portfolio management experience in a health plan setting
- Ability to collaborate with others in diplomatic, tactful manner, while exercising sensitivity and discretion as needed
- Ability to work under pressure while managing competing demands and deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including extensive experience communicating in executive audience setting
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive, with ability to motivate and lead others
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Successful track record developing creative, workable strategies and tactics to accomplish division, corporate and plan goals
- Proven ability to develop strong interpersonal relationships, as a leader and team member with experience communicating and influencing impact and progress to senior leadership level.
- Demonstrated ability to comfortably interact with business stakeholders and provide clear, concise communication. Team player a must.
- Proven analytical ability to identify problems, develop solutions and implement the right course of action
- Superior verbal presentation and written communication skills
D. Required Licensure, Certification, Etc.:
E. Work Experience:
- 8+ years of health plan work experience, including leadership and managerial roles
- Significant prior leadership experience with Cost of Care responsibilities required
- Significant experience in managing large project portfolios
- Significant experience with executive-level written and verbal communications
F. Machines, Tools, Equipment:
A. Budget Responsibility:
Develop and approve budgets for the CoC
B. Authority/Decision Making Level:
Develop and recommend department policies to senior management. Work independently with limited supervision.
C. Supervisory Responsibility:
Manages staff and has responsibility for hiring, firing, and performance management and results of the assigned areas. Trains staff in project management and respective competencies.
Resolve issues that block project process; Identify appropriate communication channels; Primary responsibility for service assigned to customers; Must ensure responsiveness and quality of service.
Normal office environment or remote work environment.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.