Float Unit SecretaryApply
Johns Hopkins employs more than 20,000 people annually across our health system. Upon joining Johns Hopkins, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join an employer that is a leader and innovator in the healthcare field.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Part Time / 36 hrs. /week, Rotating Shift, Night (7:00 PM - 7:30 AM)
Assessment: Position will require the successful completion of a typing test
Responsible for attending nursing station and performing administrative duties, reception duties and requisitions supplies, equipment and services as directed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Completes billing procedures and prepares patient charges. Maintains patient records. Prepares physicians’ orders. Enters information. Files reports of tests, procedures and consultation. Copies and computes other data as directed. Keeps patients’ charts in order with all forms properly identified. Keeps medical file in proper order and pulls charts as needed.
- Acts as receptionist. Greets all persons coming to the nurses’ station, answers inquiries, directs and assists them, takes and relays messages, assists with gifts, flowers and mail, runs errands for floor personnel.
- Initiates and maintains a variety of records/reports, patient charges/classifications/census, activity logs, IV therapy sheets, etc.
- Prepares requisitions for diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients. Accepts and schedules appointments, makes appropriate entries. Forwards charts to other areas as required for diagnostic and treatment procedures or consultation.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment, maintenance and repair service and prepares related forms. Prepares diet lists and calls in orders. Requests services such as Chaplain, barber, television, and social service, etc., as needed.
- Implements new or revised work procedures to improve effectiveness or efficiency or to accommodate changes to operations or new functions.
- Coordinates with other areas/personnel to achieve objectives and maintains good employee, interdepartmental and public relations. Maintains patient rights and confidentiality of patient information, and abides by established communications codes.
- Performs clerical duties related to procedures such as admission, discharge, transfer, death, etc.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Work requires a high school level of educational development, up to one year of basic technical training in office support and six months of previous experience.
- No certification, registration, or licensure required.
- Work requires the analytical skills to gather and interpret data in situations in which the information or problems are relatively routine.
- Work requires the ability to understand and respond to simple written or verbal instructions. Incumbents must respond appropriately to instructions, questions, or requests for information. Work occasionally requires contact with patients and/or visitors which involves courtesy.
Required Physical, Mental, and Visual Abilities
- Work requires occasionally reaching and grasping objects.
- Work requires regularly using a keyboard to interact with computer system.
- Work requires proofreading and/or reviewing documents.
- Work is generally performed in an office or clinical environment in which there is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity,sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.