Requisition #: 161742
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Category: Support Services (Services/Trades)
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Feb. 19, 2018
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Full Time/ 40 hrs./week, Day Shift (7:30 AM – 4:00 PM)
Responsible for installing, repairing and fabricating structural woodwork such as windows, doors, and floors and basic wooden furnishings and determines tools and materials required for each job. Work of this class involves no supervisory duties or responsibilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determines proper wood and tools required for each job.
- Estimates materials, supplies and equipment required to perform work assignments.
- Plans and lays out work, measures and cuts material making standard shop computations utilizing basic arithmetic, shop manuals, catalogs, tables and charts and other standard data sources.
- Determines the means and methods to be used in accomplishing assigned tasks and secures appropriate materials, supplies, and equipment from stock and with appropriate approval from suppliers.
- Fabricates, constructs, installs, maintains and repairs partitions, forms, frames, scaffolding, jigs, fixtures, walls, floors, platform, tiles, baseboards, molding, roofs, ceilings, stairs, ladders, stairwells, handrails, passage ways, doors, locks, hinges, door knobs, kick plates, door closers and checks, windows, screens, furniture, cabinets, bookcases, shelves, counters, racks, stands, desks, stools, chairs, tables, cases, crates, boxes, wheelchairs, bed, picture frames, mirrors, etc.
- Selects, measures, cuts, fits, assembles, joins, fastens and places wood, masonite, plaster board, dry wall, sheet rock, formicas, titles, laminates, paneling, window glass and other building and construction products made of linoleum, rubber, plastic, aluminum, copper, steel, glass, stone and other natural or synthetic materials.
- Utilizes hardware supplies and equipment such as nails, screws, bolts, anchors, pegs and other fasteners, locks, hinges, doors knobs, handles and hooks brackets, fittings, flanges, connectors gaskets couplings, etc. and applies adhesives, cleaners, solvent, lubricants, sealers, fillers, wax, paints stains, varnishes, shellac and other finishes, water proofing material etc.
- Employs test equipment, gauges, meters and measuring instruments such as rule, level, square, plumb bob, micrometer, calipers, dividers, protractor, etc.
- Uses hand tools, special equipment and devices such as planes, clamps, vises, hammers, axes, chisels, saws, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, files, drills, miter boxes, reamers, dies, glass cutters, shears, picks, shovels, ladders, scaffolding, block, tackle, hoist, etc.
- Operates power tools and equipment such as electric and pneumatic drill, hammer drill, screwdriver, saber saw, jig saw, table saw, radial arm saw, circular saw, band saw, router, planner, jointer, lathe mortising machine, shaper, grinder, vacuum cleaner, power activated tools, etc.
- Reads and interprets equipment manuals, written specifications, work orders, written and oral instructions, models and graphic illustrations such as layout diagrams, blueprints, mechanical and architectural drawings, work sketches, schematic drawings, etc.
- Directs and trains other employees as assigned.
- Maintains work areas, tool and equipment operational, clean and orderly.
- Observes safety practices and standards and wears protective equipment required or provided.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Work requires a high school level of educational development and four years of previous experience.
- Maryland Class C Driver’s License required.
- Certification as a Journeyman Carpenter required.
- Work requires the analytical skills to resolve problems that require the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles.
- Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, greet visitors, explain Medical Center policies, and/or relay messages to appropriate personnel. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients, visitors, and/or Medical Center employees. More sensitive situations may be referred to others as appropriate.
Required Physical, Mental, and Visual Abilities:
- Lifting and/or carrying objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Pushing and/or pulling non-motorized equipment (e.g., stretchers, supply carts, mops) weighing over 50 pounds.
- Climbing - ascending or descending ladders, scaffolding, or ramps.
- Stooping and bending.
- Reaching and grasping objects.
- Manipulating and operating power tools or machinery.
- Walking and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Work requires working in an area that is somewhat uncomfortable due to drafts, noise, temperature variation or the like.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.