Communications Specialist - Johns Hopkins Children's Center
Requisition #: 417743
Location: Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Non-Clinical Professional
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Nov. 26, 2021
Join an amazing global healthcare organization!
Excellent compensation package!
Awesome benefits, including dependent tuition reimbursement!
Requisition #: 417743
Location: 901 S. Bond Street, Baltimore, MD 21231
Full Time (40 hours)
Day Shift, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
On-call/weekend work required
Exempt; Pay Grade: NJ
Reporting to the communications manager for the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, this position will support the communications initiatives of the Children's Center in the following duties:
• Produce high-quality communications materials for Children's Center electronic, print, web and video channels that will inform, educate and engage internal and external audiences.
• Develop and maintain relationships with faculty, staff and members of the local and national media to provide media relations services to advance public awareness of Johns Hopkins Medicine's mission and achievements.
• Assist in planning, developing collateral material for, and implementing media relations events including but not limited to press conferences and other Children's Center events.
• Analyze and evaluate media tracking data and metrics.
- College degree in journalism, communications, life sciences or science writing required.
- A minimum of three years of experience in journalism, media relations or communications, preferably for a hospital, healthcare system or university is required. Requires demonstrated experience working successfully on deadline and designing and implementing communications plans and strategies. Demonstrated experience in implementing effective and external and internal communications plans and strategies and in editing/writing high-quality publications is required.
- Requires strong communication skills and proven ability to precisely and objectively communicate information; give and receive clear messages; ability to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment; effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects at once; meeting demanding deadlines; strong organizational skills and attention to detail; sound judgment and discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Demonstrated experience implementing effective external and internal communications plans and strategies; experience in working with news media; and knowledge of academic medical center culture and organization. Depending on area of focus, demonstrated experience with scientific and technical writing may be necessary. Effective use of communication tools, including print, Web, media relations, electronic media and other e-communication tools; AP Style and ability to apply institutional style standards consistently. Familiarity with media tracking services and databases preferred.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.