Director, Medicare Advantage Business Development & Product Strategy
Requisition #: 298703
Location: Johns Hopkins Health Care,
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Nov. 14, 2020
Johns Hopkins HealthCare (JHHC) is the managed care and health services business of Johns Hopkins Medicine, one of the premier health delivery, academic, and research institutions in the United States. JHHC is a $2.5B business serving over 400,000 lives with lines of business in Medicaid, Medicare, commercial, military health, health solutions, and venture investments. JHHC has become a leader in provider-sponsored health plans and is poised for future growth.
Many organizations talk about transforming the future of healthcare, Johns Hopkins HealthCare is actually doing it. We develop innovative, analytics-driven health programs in collaboration with provider partners to drive improved quality and better health outcomes for the members and communities we serve. If you are interested in improving how healthcare is delivered, join the JHHC team.
This position reports to the Vice President, Medicare Advantage. This position will oversee product development for Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO, DSNP and EGWP programs and ensure the strategy, performance, and management of all MA product offerings meet program’s financial goals. Works directly with the JHHC executives to achieve corporate goals around Medicare Advantage product strategy and business development.
Product Strategy: The incumbent has overall responsibility for product development to support the Health Plan’s strategic goals for Medicare, satisfy market requirements, utilizing multiple modes of market research and competitor intelligence. Responsible for collaborating across all key functions on product strategy, development and enhancement to effectively address key performance drivers. This position manages and delivers services that include market segmentation, enrollment forecasting, go-to-market strategy, sales and partner enablement, product direction, competitive analysis, benefit design, and regulatory filings. The incumbent works with Sr. Director Program Administration to ensure that all products can be successfully administered.
Employer Group Waiver Plans. Responsible for full understanding of the commercial retiree market and opportunities to enable JHHC to meet the needs of its clients and their retirees and ensure a competitive portfolio of products and services. The incumbent oversees the performance of Employer Group Waiver plans and manages relationships with employers/clients. This position has responsibility for employer relations with regard to Employer Group Waiver Plan operations, training, and satisfaction.
Bachelor’s degree required, Masters in Business Administration preferred.
5 to 7 years management experience in Medicare Advantage environment. Professional level of knowledge of business, administrative, healthcare marketing and management theory. Requires strong knowledge and exposure to Federal and State health care regulations, and managed care industry. Understanding business and product development, relationship and project management is a must. Requires prior experience in marketing, preferably in health care industry.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skill
- Brings departments together to work more cohesively toward operational and financial goals.
- Demonstrated success in product development and implementation including market analysis and competitor intelligence
- Demonstrated expertise in training and presentation skills, including the development of training materials.
- Demonstrated success in managing a business unit and client relationships.
- High level of interpersonal skill
- Written and oral communication necessary to interface with various levels of internal and external clients
- Strong knowledge of finance, cost control, and budgeting
- Must be organized and detail oriented
- Must be able to work in complex organizational systems and affect change
- Excellent presentation skills for internal and external audiences
- Self-started; ability to work independently, prioritize workload, assign work and make independent decisions;
- Ability to effectively and professionally interact with diverse groups of people including senior leadership, high level external contacts, members, providers, business related associates and vendors
- Understanding of marketing practices
- Proven project management skills
- Negotiation skills
- Advanced knowledge of standard PC Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress or similar products.
D. Required Licensure, Certification, Etc.:
E. Work Experience:
A minimum of 7 years of experience in the Medicare healthcare or insurance industries, preferably with a focus in business development and key account management,
F. Machines, Tools, Equipment:
PC, PC applications, and general office equipment.
A. Budget Responsibility:
- Develops budgets for Product Development, Business Development departments and collaborates with Director, Medicare Advantage Program Administration
- Provides detailed membership/enrollment projections for use by all JHHC department in budget development
- Authorizes expenditures.
- Effectively uses resources; researches and recommends resources.
- Uses appropriate fiscal management skills in making purchases.
B. Authority/Decision Making Level:
- High level of autonomy
- Critical and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and manage multiple projcts simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to delegate
- Develops and implements department policies and work processes
- Works independently with minimal supervision
- Authority to negotiate and award vendor contracts
C. Supervisory Responsibility:
Directly responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating the work of the Product Development and Management staffs. Assigns work to support staff. Supervises the performance of contractors, consultants, and temporary staff. Collaborates with other JHHC and JHM staff as appropriate. Provides mentoring, pro-active guidance and direction when appropriate.
Uses critical thinking to evaluate situations and develop solutions. Formulates and refines strategic and tactical plans in support of the organization’s goals
Identifies and monitors trends and advancements that are relevant and meaningful to the organization. Must be able to read, analyze, and act upon a variety of statistical reports, communications, market research material, financial reports and data analysis. Develops and presents reports demonstrating project/campaign effectiveness. Coordinates data resource requests with IT/Finance/Actuary and other departments as required
Works in normal environment where there are no physical discomforts due to dust, dirt, noise and the like. Work is sedentary in nature; however, some standing, stooping, and bending are required. The position requires activity, and transporting of materials. Work requires concentration and constant attention to accuracy and detail for extended periods of time. Work requires cross-training and coverage of colleagues. Work requires daily use of a computer. Work requires regularly handling multiple projects involving a variety of employees, vendors and deadlines as well as multiple priorities. Work requires attendance at company office and off-site meetings. Work, on occasion, may be stressful due to tight deadlines established by regulatory agencies, as well as JHHC and LOB priorities.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.