Director, Healthcare Economics
Requisition #: 418629
Location: Johns Hopkins Health Care, Hanover, MD 21076
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Sept. 23, 2021
Johns Hopkins HealthCare (JHHC) is the managed care and health services business of Johns Hopkins Medicine, one of the premier health delivery, academic, and research institutions in the United States. JHHC is a $2.5B business serving over 400,000 lives with lines of business in Medicaid, Medicare, commercial, military health, health solutions, and venture investments. JHHC has become a leader in provider-sponsored health plans and is poised for future growth.
Many organizations talk about transforming the future of healthcare, Johns Hopkins HealthCare is actually doing it. We develop innovative, analytics-driven health programs in collaboration with provider partners to drive improved quality and better health outcomes for the members and communities we serve. If you are interested in improving how healthcare is delivered, join the JHHC team.
Citizenship Requirement: Please note that under the terms of a government contract, this specific position requires U.S. citizenship status to ensure compliance with the Department of Defense Personnel Security Program.
This can be a virtual work position depending on the State of residence. Must reside in one of the following States to be considered: Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida, Delaware, or the District of Columbia.
Reporting to the Chief Actuary, the Director of Healthcare Economics will be responsible for managing the Healthcare Economics function within JHHC, providing reporting, analytics, and data-driven insights to myriad functional units throughout the organization. This position manages a group of informatics professionals that will support the organization’s goal of providing executive leadership with analysis related to the cost of care performance of the various lines of business within JHHC. This position would be responsible for developing actionable insights and recommendations to management using statistical and quantitative analysis, explanatory and predictive modeling to drive decision making.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, actuarial science, or similar degree. Master’s degree or professional designation in a related field is strongly preferred.
- Requires knowledge of financial and accounting concepts as well as an extensive knowledge of spreadsheets and database software.
- An ability to suggest creative ideas that generate additional revenues and/or produce cost savings.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required to motivate staff members and others; to communicate general and occasionally sensitive and confidential information to all levels of internal staff and management as well as external customers.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills to convey information relevant to a project to senior management. Has natural inclination and ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ten years of experience in analytics, medical economics, informatics, strategic finance or related field required.
- Extensive database experience (Access required, SQL coding experience strongly preferred) with ability to access and manipulate significant amounts of complex data and produce meaningful and useful reports for senior management.
- Experience in advanced statistical models, business intelligence tools, risk adjustment methodologies, and data visualization software strongly preferred.
- Experience and an ability to independently prepare financial analysis and business plans that accurately presents the financial impact of proposals as well as other advantages and disadvantages of the proposal (the group you are working with feels you are a true contributor to the process, not just a collector and supplier of data).
- Strong background and deep understanding of healthcare data, business concepts, and insurance required. Specific experience with Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, Commercial, and/or provider led value-based care programs preferred.
- Financial modeling, forecasting, ROI and program evaluation, and other assumption driven evaluation methodologies.
- Requires five years of managerial experience.
Machines, Tools, Equipment:
- Must operate general office equipment (telephone, fax, PC, etc)
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.