Requisition #: 161859
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Category: Support Services (Services/Trades)
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Dec. 7, 2017
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Full Time/ 40 hrs./week, Day Shift (9:30 AM – 6:00 PM)
Weekend Work Required
Responsible for installing, maintaining and repairing equipment and systems for the generation, storage, transmission, distribution, control or utilization and conservation of electrical energy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Estimates time, cost, manpower, materials, supplies and equipment required to perform work assignment.
- Determines the means and methods to be used in accomplishing assigned tasks and secures appropriate materials, supplies, and equipment from stock and with appropriate approval, from suppliers.
- Plans and lays out work making standard shop computations utilizing basic arithmetic, shop manuals, catalogs, tables and charts and other standard data sources.
- Diagnoses, tests, installs, maintains and repairs generators, transformers, switchboards, controllers, circuit breakers, motors, heating units, conduit systems, lighting fixtures, blowers, fans, appliances, communications equipment, signal and alarm systems, power circuits and equipment, distribution panels, relays, thermostats, rectifiers, storage batteries, transport equipment, dishwashers, autoclaves, kitchen, laboratory and laundry equipment, electric ranges, drives, lifts, elevators, beds, clocks, time clocks, etc.
- Selects, measures, cuts, bends, fits, assembles, splices joins, solders, couples, fastens, hangs and installs wire, armored cable, conduit romex and other conduits made of aluminum, copper, steel, glass plastic or other materials.
- Utilizes hardware supplies and equipment such as fittings, flanges, connectors, gaskets, fasteners, couplings, boxes, switches, sockets, plugs, fuses, insulators, gears, bushing bearings, brushes, ballasts, armatures, commutators, coils, tape, insulation materials, etc. and applies adhesives, cleaners, solvents, lubricants, sealers, caulking, water proofing materials, etc.
- Employs test equipment, gages, meters and measuring instruments such as rule, level, square, plumb bob, multimeter, ammeter, ohmmeter, voltmeter, megger, current leakage tester, ground fault tester, tachometer, testing lamp, growler, etc.
- Uses hand tools, special equipment and devices such as wire, cable and bolt cutters, insulation strippers, crimpers, hammers, chisels, saws, wrenches screwdrivers, pliers, fuse puller, wheel puller, files, reamers, taps, threaders, dies, block, soldering iron, torches, benders, wire puller, fish tapes, pick, shovels, ladders, scaffolding, block, tackle hoist, sling, come along , lifts, etc.
- Operates power tools and equipment such as electric or pneumatic drills, hammer drills, screwdrivers, saws, cutters, benders, punches, vacuum cleaners, powder activated tools, etc.
- Cuts passages in ground, floors, ceilings and walls and prepares same for final finishing.
- Reads and interprets equipment manuals, written specifications, work orders, written and oral instructions, models and graphic illustrations such as layout diagrams, blueprints, mechanical and architectural drawings, work sketches, schematic drawings, etc.
- Directs and trains other employees as assigned.
- Maintains work areas, tools and equipment operational, clean and orderly.
- Observes safety practices and standards and wears protective equipment required or provided.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Work requires a high school level of educational development and four years previous experience.
- Maryland Class C driver’s license required. Certification as a Journeyman Electrician required.
- Work requires the analytical skills to resolve problems that require the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles.
- Work requires the ability to understand and respond to simple written or verbal instructions. Incumbents must respond appropriately to instructions, questions, or requests for information. Work occasionally requires contact with patients and/or visitors which involves courtesy.
Required Physical, Mental, and Visual Abilities:
- Lifting and/or carrying objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Pushing and/or pulling non-motorized equipment (e.g., stretchers, supply carts, mops) weighing over 50 pounds.
- Climbing - ascending or descending ladders, scaffolding, or ramps.
- Stooping and bending.
- Reaching and grasping objects.
- Manipulating and operating power tools or machinery.
- Walking and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Work requires working with equipment or performing procedures where carelessness would probably result in minor cuts, bruises, or muscle strains.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.