Epic Application Coordinator III (Beacon)
Requisition #: 188384
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: July 5, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary:
The Application Coordinator III (ACIII) participates in the development and design of the application(s) for which the AC III is responsible and is required to gain an in-depth knowledge of the assigned Epic module(s).
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of computer systems, applications and interfaces.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all skills required to facilitate complex application and systems enhancements or replacements.
- Analyzes and resolves complex system integration problems.
- Creates pre--‐ and post--‐project benchmarking metrics.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of the JHM clinical and/or business operations.
- Demonstrates advanced proficiency in creating detailed documentation, including system design documentation, procedures, process and data flows, RFPs, project plans, and recommendations for system enhancements and replacements.
- Communicates effectively with users, colleagues, developers, and organizational administration.
- Provides estimates for moderate to complex work efforts.
- Supports multiple concurrent projects and/or application modules, educates and coaches other team members, and manages user expectations.
- Manages tasks, resources, and project plans for team assignments.
- May require specialized knowledge in a specific application/module/computer system.
Essential Job Functions/Performance
Analysis and Design:
- Functions as a senior contributor with similar responsibilities as the Applications Coordinator II, but with a greater degree of complexity. An Applications Coordinator III may be involved in some leadership activities.
- Analyzes and defines complex systems information requirements and objectives for application and systems enhancements or replacements.
- Employs comprehensive analytical skills to define system information requirements and objectives for system, application, and interface maintenance or enhancement requests and communicates to users and other team members.
- Communicates to project team members.
- Functions as a liaison to the system users and stakeholders to translate complex clinical and/or business requirements into technical requirements, data flows and process flows.
- Educates analysts and other team members on complex clinical and/or business operations requirements, objectives and the relevant system applications or modules.
- Assists in developing risk mitigation strategies for complex scenarios.
- Works with the appropriate subject matter experts and other project team members in design, build, and validation sessions.
- Provides technical expertise in the supported application. Leads application stakeholders to improve the effective utilization of the application.
- Leads system administration and configuration.
- Leads the creation and documentation of appropriate system and integration test plans.
- Leads the use of workflow decisions for implementing application configurations.
- Leads the build of system dictionaries and performs test system set up.
- Leads the population of databases during the initial system build with assistance from vendor.
- Works closely with the technical support on issues of install choices, master file and category list set up, synonyms and preference lists, etc.
Testing and Implementation:
Assist with full system testing and go-live planning.
- Develop with the Enterprise team test scenarios/conditions.
- Creates and executes system and integration test plans.
- Prepares the application live plan.
- Participates in training and work with end users.
- Aids trainers during user training.
Support application during and after live process.
- Prioritizes and implements requested changes to the system.
- Coordinates software updates and changes with users.
- Reviews new vendor software releases and updates to help determine which features will be utilized.
- Maintains rules for how each new version is released.
- Analyzes new functionality in new releases to determine whether or how it should be used.
- Coordinates software updates and changes.
- Reviews and test each new release.
- Maintains rules for how each new version is released.
- Establishes change control processes and procedures for the system.
- Identifies key dependencies and works to manage these to meet milestones and budget. Manages application scope to meet timeline and budget goals.
- Educates and coaches other team members and works with minimal supervision in support of team members on tasks of medium complexity.
- Reports project issues and staff performance issues to Principal / Supervisor.
- Frequently provides status reports to project managers.
- Responds to vendor's questions.
Required Job Qualifications:
Education: Baccalaureate degree, education or health related field with educational courses. Professional certification(s) and/or related experience
beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years experience-for-one year education basis.
Certifications: Required to complete and pass certification in assigned EPIC application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role.
- Three years operational experience in a clinical or healthcare business operations setting or three years experience in Information Technology.
- General understanding of the work flows in clinical or healthcare business operations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Experience with implementing clinical and/or healthcare business information systems in a large-scale and complex healthcare organization.
- Epic certification in the module(s) being represented.
- Experience in Epic installations.
- Knowledge of the current healthcare environment preferred.
- Experience in developing business and/or clinical workflows related to the assigned application module.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Ability to handle analysis, design, system configuration and testing tasks at a medium to high level of complexity.
- Ability to incorporate policies, procedures, and specific clinical practice and/or business processing needs into information systems training
- Excellent customer service skills
- Highly effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to establish working relationships that foster optimal quality teamwork and education
- Strong organizational skills in managing multiple priorities
- Uses critical thinking skills regarding use of the clinical/business operations software applications
- Detailed understanding of clinical/business operations workflows and system configuration gained by participating in validation sessions with project team members and assisting in system design.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, with proficiency in Microsoft Visio and Project desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in technical design techniques for related software applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles as they relate to managing timeline, budget and quality.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.