Epic Health IT Architect (Population Health)
Requisition #: 395023
Location: Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Aug. 10, 2021
General Position Summary:
The Epic Health IT architect is responsible for designing and implementing solutions for the most complex business and technology problems that arise within the Johns Hopkins Health System. They will work closely with the CMIO, CNIO, and other executive leadership positions to ensure that the technology developed for the enterprise aligns to the business mission and operational workflows. The position allows for creativity and problem-solving, offering a chance to design unique solutions for a broad array of issues, such as implementing configuration changes in existing software to improve efficiency and patient safety, or designing and implementing new, integrated, custom solutions for when existing software does not fit the need. This role is expected to make significant positive impacts on how Johns Hopkins operates and provides care for patients.
The Health IT Architect’s work will focus on providing solutions leveraging enterprise technologies, with Epic modules as a core component of many designs, but they will also need to consider all available products, technologies, and services within their domain including departmental specialty systems. Using functional specifications and designs, the Health IT Architect will push vendor roadmaps for future releases by collaborating with business owners and Health IT Directors to drive strategic partners toward meaningful and targeted software updates. The scope of a technology specialization is described in the supplemental section below, however all Health IT Architects have centralized and enterprise breadth within Health IT, and all should be expected to have deep technical Epic knowledge.
When assigned to Patient Experience
As the Epic Health IT architect responsible for shaping an exceptional human experience for patients, families, and visitors any time they interact with a Johns Hopkins entity. This individual will lead discovery and design phases of large-scale projects focused on improving patient and customer experience, including implementation of new systems, features, functionality, or organizational process change. They should be comfortable guiding teams of developers to build custom solutions when necessary. This position is accountable for developing the patient experience roadmap alongside the appropriate Health IT directors and executive leadership. They will interface with design committees, patient access services, marketing, the technology innovation center and more. They should be an expert at utilizing analytics tools to monitor and improve patient experience, and be able to present on KPIs and project outcomes for new initiatives to senior leadership, operational business owners, physicians, and IT team members.
The Health IT Architect should be an expert in the Epic Patient portal application, MyChart. If not certified in MyChart, they will be expected to achieve certification within six months of starting in the role. The architect should also be familiar with one or more of the patient-facing aspects of Epic, including those such as Open Scheduling, Bedside, Welcome, Care Companion, or others considered relevant. They should have experience implementing new workflows in a complicated healthcare environment like the Johns Hopkins Health System and the ideal candidate will have knowledge of emerging markets and technologies available to enhance patient experience and engagement.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
- Responsible for helping shape IT vision, strategy, technology innovations, and architecture designs based on the strategic roadmap for targeted areas of leadership focus.
- Address highly complex integrated problems by working with business owners and operational leaders to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Collaborate with, and frequently lead, other technical experts, architects and subject matter experts to design technology elements for the enterprise.
- Coordinate with IT Directors and Operational business owners to develop project design principles, standards, and best practices consumed by execution teams.
- Tracks a broad range of emerging technologies to:
- Determine their maturity and applicability to the enterprise
- Assess the relative impact to IT strategy and interprets meaning to senior IT leadership team
- Lead and manage strategic activities, including adoption of enterprise products and continuous integration strategies
DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, and DEPLOYMENT
- Integrates multiple cross functional processes and disciplines to meet business and technical requirements by bringing perspective from all architecture domains (process, system, application information, data, and security).
- Develop, manage and maintain standards; partner in the development, management, establishment, and enforcement of technical standards.
- Support the translation of business and technical objectives, and guiding principles into solution architecture requirements, application of multiple technical solutions to business problems while leveraging enterprise solutions.
- Provide support and enforcement of compliance with enterprise support and identify opportunities to fully leverage offerings to the benefit of the enterprise.
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to lifecycle standards.
- Provide experienced leadership for strategic planning in designing and developing comprehensive, innovative and integrated solutions. Oversee and mentor junior staff by reviewing tasks and milestones for quality standards and provide guidance in system/application design and development.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Oversee changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve highly complex problems requiring the highest level of technical expertise by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to effectively lead change, and communicate with business and IT staff.
- The ability to embrace change, adapt to the unexpected, and focus energies, people, and solutions on practical and positive results.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- Six years of related work experience with computer systems and applications, including three years of working for an Epic organization, and at least two years of project leadership experience.
Required Licensure, Certification, Etc.:
- Certifications in multiple core Epic applications.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Master’s degrees in applicable field preferred.
- Experience implementing or supporting a live Epic system in a complex environment.
- Advanced expertise in one or more of the following: Epic data structures, systems integration, healthcare operations, and large-scale IT implementations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Demonstrates specialized expert knowledge of a core Epic Application (Orders, Clin Doc, Willow, Ambulatory, ASAP, etc.)
- Demonstrates advanced proficiency with complex projects in creating detailed documentation, including system design documentation, procedures, process and data flows, and recommendations for system enhancements and replacements
- Demonstrates professional interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all, possessing the ability to explain technical concepts to lay audiences. Experience working with senior IT and institutional leadership
- Ability to lead training/education sessions for the Epic project team, Business Owners, end users, etc.
- Collaborates with cross-functional work teams with minimal supervision
- Ability to create, troubleshoot, and recommend complex technical solutions rooted in any Epic application leveraging already-existing system knowledge and available Epic documentation
- Demonstrates the ability to identify risks and propose risk mitigation strategies
- Ability to solicit complete requirements and document the JHM clinical and/or business operations need
- Demonstrates excellent conceptual and analytical skills, creating outside-the-box solutions
- Expert in understanding and navigating Chronicles
- Expert in using the right Chronicles utilities to provide the teams with analysis and troubleshooting assistance
- Expert in key reporting tools – e.g. Clarity, RWB and SQL
- Knowledgeable about departmental systems within their purview
- Key technical liaison with the technical and interface teams
- Key liaison with the Epic Technical Services team
- Provide technical advice on new Epic features and products
- Create and refine build standards across applications
- Works collaboratively with the PMO to set and maintain project documentation standards
- Looks for patterns in reported issues to develop improved processes and solutions
- Owns, conducts and coordinates investigation of P1 Incidents and provides documentation, information, and root cause analysis for the PMO
- Self-starter with the ability to work on and prioritize multiple priorities effectively
- Results oriented with ability to produce products that deliver organizational benefit
- Strong critical thinker with problem solving aptitude
- Team player with experience leading and collaborating cross-team to ensure successful delivery of solutions
- Responsible for other job duties as assigned
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.