Epic Interfaces Analyst/Developer C
Requisition #: 170329
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: May 25, 2018
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary:
The Interfaces Analyst is responsible for the analysis, design and implementation of system-to-system interfaces including the integration of internal JHH applications and external linkages with other providers and customers. Demonstrates solid Application Analyst skills. Adheres to defined processes in the implementation and support of systems integration solutions. Develops tactical and project plans to implement integrated departmental, enterprise and external applications solutions. Executes task assignments within established timeframes and complies with requirements for status reporting. Attains expert technical competency required to support integration projects deliverables and to support the integration environment. Provides expert knowledge of the JHH enterprise integration tools. Utilizes standards and procedures to insure uniform high quality in all projects. Supports multiple concurrent work efforts, educates and coaches other team members, and works with minimal supervision in support of team initiatives.
- Demonstrates solid application analyst skills.
- Adheres to defined processes in the implementation and support of systems integration solutions.
- Develops tactical and project plans to implement integrated departmental, enterprise and external applications solutions.
- Executes task assignments within established timeframes and complies with requirements for status reporting.
- Attains expert technical competency required to support integration projects deliverables and to support the integration environment.
- Provides expert knowledge of the JHH enterprise integration tools.
- Utilizes standards and procedures to insure uniform high quality in all projects.
- Supports multiple concurrent work efforts, educates and coaches other team members, and works with minimal supervision in support of team initiatives.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for building, testing, implementing, and supporting HL7 interfaces.
- Define business, clinical, and educational problems by meeting with stakeholders to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Gathering system requirements to understand business need. Providing written documentation of findings to share with the stakeholders and other IT colleagues.
- Write functional and technical specifications by taking system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop the technical solutions.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
- Create and document test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate test scenarios to ensure all solutions work as expected and handle errors in a meaningful way.
- Assist with creation and execution of system and integration test plans.
- Assist in the preparation of the interface and application go-live plans.
- Monitor interface and system changes, and resolve any problems by responding to problems as they occur by reviewing all processing and outputs of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Responsible for supporting existing production interfaces.
- Responsible for 24x7 on-call support on a rotational basis.
- Provide support by triaging and resolving issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
- Review new vendor software releases and updates to help determine which features the customer or organization will utilize.
- Analyze new functionality in new releases to determine whether or how to use the features.
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Establish change control processes and procedures for the system.
- Identify key dependencies for assigned tasks and works to manage these to meet milestones.
- Educate and coach other team members and works with minimal supervision in support of team members on tasks of medium complexity.
- Report project issues and staff performance issues to project lead or supervisor.
- Frequently provides status reports to project managers.
Epic Bridges certification is a plus.
Required to complete and pass certification in assigned EPIC application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role.
Preferred Education Requirement
Baccalaureate degree in math, science, computer science, or health-related field. Professional certification(s) and/or related experience beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years’ experience-for-one year education basis. Required to complete and pass certification in assigned Epic application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role.
Preferred Years of Experience and/or Skills
- Must be detailed oriented, organized and have strong multitasking ability.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong coordination, facilitation, consultation and conflict resolution skills.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Must possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to organize and lead specification meetings
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Ability to identify opportunities for process improvements for existing and new interfaces, as well as other areas of operation.
- Ability to read and write technical HL7 specifications is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard integration messaging structures (Hl7, X-12 and others) and communication protocols.
- Knowledge of functionality of interface engines technology is highly desirable.
- Ability to develop extensive test plans.
- Ability to handle analysis, design, system configuration and testing tasks at a low to medium level of complexity.
- Understands how workflow decisions translate to application configurations.
- Ability to incorporate policies, procedures, and specific clinical practice and/or business processing needs into information systems training.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, with proficiency in Microsoft Visio desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in technical design techniques for related software applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles as they relate to assigned tasks.
- Two years operational experience in a clinical or healthcare operations setting or two years’ experience in Information Technology desired.
- Experience implementing interfaces using HL7, X-12 or other standard for interfaces is preferred.
- Progressive experience in a healthcare environment is desired.
- Experience with implementing clinical and/or healthcare business information systems in a large-scale and complex healthcare organization.
- Experience in Epic installations is a plus.
- Knowledge of the current healthcare environment preferred.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.