Epic Project Leader (Patient Access)
Requisition #: 403265
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Sept. 5, 2021
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary:
Position divides time between lead duties and analyst duties (generally on a 50/50 basis). Lead and provide direction to assigned staff (composed of IT Specialists, Programmer Analysts, Senior Programmer Analysts, Software Engineers, and Senior Software Engineers) for all tasks by reviewing work for technical viability and for adherence to institutional standards and guidelines. Lead assigned staff to implement and integrate various departmental and enterprise wide application systems (packages and/or home grown) into the current environment or new environments; and to support production application systems (including but not limited to modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications, operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools as well as performance of the application). Apply analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. Using functional specifications and designs, produce all or part of the deliverables. Maintain databases and application system code.
Provide technical leadership based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influence clients towards innovative/integrated solutions. Responsible for full life-cycle of large sized complex projects which can span an entire department, division, or enterprise-wide level. For enterprise-wide level, typical projects impact the broader customer base of Johns Hopkins and its most mission critical systems. Projects often require interaction with various departments and teams both within and outside the department. Complex and large projects typically are applications/systems with 501-3000 concurrent users requiring uptime commensurate with Clinical, Business critical, Education critical or Enterprise systems. Impacts of outages will cause major disruption such as implementation of downtime procedures, major disruption of business operations, and/or cascades to more than 7 systems/applications. Disruptions are without obvious or simple workarounds. Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions. Provide direction and leadership to junior level positions. For project work, lead diversified staff in various environments. Interface with senior level IT management, department heads, JHM personnel, vendors and consultants while leading projects. Accountable for project outcome. May have significant responsibility for portions of manager/director’s portfolio. Must achieve balance between orchestrating work of others and doing technical work.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
- Lead an assigned team of Programmer Analysts and Software Engineers as well as others to implement various departmental and enterprise wide applications in the current environment.
- Lead at least one large project with high level expectations or have responsibility for multiple projects.
- Lead and provide direction to both direct reports and other teams as required as part of assigned projects.
- Review teams’ work for technical viability and for adherence to institutional standards and guidelines.
- Establish project timeline with appropriate stakeholders. Manage project to achieve agreed timeline.
- With guidance and direction, may assist or contribute to defining and monitoring the project budget.
- Develop improvement processes for operational use by the team to ensure successful completion of a project or IT process.
- Provide input for assigned team members’ performance evaluations.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and developments in the field.
- Incorporate and lead others in the use of the software development lifecycle to include analysis, design, development, testing, training, deployment, and maintenance of applications.
- Develop and maintain project documentation to include project proposals, charter, scope document, test scenarios, project schedule, and test plans, etc.
- Supervise the use of approved data gathering and presentation tools.
- Supervise the project management process groups, which include initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and control, and closing.
- May prepare status and project reports.
- Provide monitoring and guidance in application design and development to more junior staff. Give direction and leadership in techniques and tools to junior level staff.
- Supervise the communication, engagement, and encumbering of other resources needed to complete the project (i.e., Storage analysts, Enterprise Services, Help Desk, Disaster Recovery resources, etc.)
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Define highly complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather highly complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the highly complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for highly complex application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document highly complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate highly complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes, test to ensure change success, resolve issues, and communicate status.
- Provide ongoing, high quality support to stakeholders by providing timely and courteous service.
Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
Six years of related work experience with computer systems and applications.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Knowledge in the assigned application as well as the platform on which it runs.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Ability to delegate tasks.
- Ability influences others and garner buy in.
- Ability to build effective teams to execute projects.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet work schedules within limited time frames and under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work off hours as needed in support of changes to the computing environment
- Proven success on meeting project deadlines and timelines.
- Participates in the specification, design, implementation, and management of multiple projects
- Strong technical skills.
- Strong ability to understand complex business processes.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.