Epic Project Manager-Help Desk
Requisition #: 399823
Location: Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Aug. 10, 2021
General Position Summary:
The Project Manager applies professional principles, practices, and techniques to lead project teams and control project scope, schedule, cost, quality and performance risks to ensure satisfied customers. This role has ultimate responsibility for all assigned projects and manages customer satisfaction, definition, planning, monitoring, and others aspects of a project.
This position reports to the Sr. IT Director of Health IT, or their designee, who will assign projects. The position will be matrix managed with one or more directors or managers who need a project manager for specific projects. This PM will manage multiple projects and lead a diverse staff in a variety of environments. Projects can span an entire department, division, or the entire enterprise. Projects may be clinical, financial, or administrative in nature. Projects could include multiple interfaces and can be simple or complex. This position will interface with senior level IT management, department heads, JHM personnel, vendors, and consultants.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
- Responsible for full life-cycle of large sized projects which can span an entire department, division, or enterprise wide level.
- Lead an assigned team of technical, clinical, and vendor personnel. Provide direction to other teams as required as part of assigned projects.
- Review teams’ work for technical viability and for adherence to institutional standards and guidelines.
- Provide oversight to ensure adherence to institutional standards and guidelines for project management, process improvement, analysis, design and customer service. Give direction and leadership in techniques and tools to junior level staff.
- . Manage project to achieve approved timeline.
- Develop improvement processes for operational use by the team to ensure successful completion of a project or IT process.
- Provide input for assigned team members’ performance evaluations.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and developments in the field.
- Incorporate and lead others in the use of the software development lifecycle to include analysis, design, development, testing, training, deployment, and maintenance of applications.
- Develop and maintain project documentation to include project proposals, charter, scope document, test scenarios, project schedule, and test plans, etc. Prepare project status and reports.
- Supervise the communication, engagement, and encumbering of other resources needed to complete the project (i.e., Storage analysts, Enterprise Services, Help Desk, Disaster Recovery resources, etc.)
- Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions.
- Integration management - the practice of making certain that every part of the project is coordinated
- Scope management – ensuring that the requirements, details, deliverables, and processes included in the scope are clearly defined and that changes in scope are reviewed, approved, and documented.
- Time management – management of resources, activities, schedules, and deadlines, expose the critical path.
- Quality management - outputs of different processes are measured against some predetermined acceptable measure
- Human resource management – Establishing roles and responsibilities, managing project organization,
- Communications management - keeping the project’s stakeholders properly informed throughout the entire project
- Risk management - identify project risks and also plan how to respond to the risks if they occur
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Define business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Research existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document comprehensive test plans that include test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Supervise all changes by using the appropriate test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes, test to ensure change success, resolve issues, and communicate status.
WHEN ASSIGNED TO HELP DESK VENDOR RELATIONS
- Becomes the primary interface for Service Desk/Help Desk support for Epic incidents as well as collaborating with the IT Help Desk leadership to ensure transparent service delivery between multiple help desks and supporting technology.
- Manages the vendor relationship that includes process, security, contract adherence, SLA’s, report development and monitoring and collaboration with other JH IT teams.
- Collaborates and consults with IT teams to develop relationships, champion knowledge sharing, develop documentation to support new service initiatives. Communicates with leadership on challenges, problems and recommendations for complex situations. Provides open and candid feedback to improve processes, insure quality service delivery.
- Implements best practices into knowledge system to improve first call resolution of incident management including development of matrices, articles and service/triage processes.
- Develops a technical understanding of Jira and other supporting technology.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- Required to complete and pass certification in assigned Epic application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role
Five years of related work experience with project management, healthcare, computer systems or applications. Additional education may substitute for experience.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- PMP certification
- Healthcare Information Technology or Operational leadership experience
- Experience with Epic applications
- Experience with integration technologies (HL7, FHIR etc)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Have lead at least one large project with high level expectations or have responsibility for multiple, concurrent projects.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Ability to delegate tasks.
- Ability to influence others and garner buy in.
- Ability to build effective teams to execute projects.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Write and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet work schedules within limited time frames and under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work off hours.
- Proven success on meeting project deadlines and timelines.
- Participates in the specification, design, implementation, and management of multiple projects
- Strong technical skills.
- Strong ability to understand complex business processes.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.