Epic Systems Development Manager (Cupid/Radiant)
Requisition #: 420964
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Oct. 4, 2021
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary: Responsible for overall coordination, status reporting and stability of project oriented work efforts. Establishes and implements project management processes and methodologies to ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, adhere to high quality standards and meet assigned expectation. Responsible for assembling project plans and teamwork assignments, directing and monitoring work efforts on a daily basis, identifying resource needs, performing quality review; and escalating functional, quality and timeline issues appropriately. Coordinates any/all communication efforts to appropriate individuals.
This position has management responsibilities (e.g. hiring, firing, performance management) and completes projects through leadership of others for whom it has line responsibility.
Scope of applications or support may include specific application(s) of Epic and similar application(s) from different vendor(s). Serves as liaison and representative to the Epic and JHM communities, work groups, and committees. Performs task analysis, long term and short term planning to determine needs of the project and staff. Manages multiple applications through planning, scheduling, assigning, coordinating and reviewing tasks performed by staff.
Reports to the Epic Project Director for Ancillary Clinical Systems. The Epic Project Manager for Cupid and Radiant assumes primary responsibility for managing the implementation and support of Epic Cupid and Radiant for Johns Hopkins Health System. The successful candidate will have a proven record of managing IT professionals in a healthcare setting and have excellent project management and communication skills. The Epic Project Manager will supervise team members and projects. Seven years of experience with appropriate computer systems and applications is required. Three years of supervisory/managerial experience is required. Experience managing and implementing clinical information systems is preferred. Epic experience and certification is strongly desired. Experience and knowledge of cardiology and radiology practices is a plus.
Baccalaureate degree, in computer science, information technology, business, or related field is required, master’s degree is preferred. Equivalent work experience may be accepted in lieu of educational requirements on a ratio of 2 years of experience for every 1 year of education. Candidates may be required to complete and pass certification in assigned Epic application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that project assignments are delivered on time and within budget.
- Performing management responsibilities (e.g., hiring, firing, performance management) and completion of projects through leadership of others
- Coordinating efforts between the Cupid and Radiant teams, other Epic project teams, Epic Verona personnel, Business Owners, and other stakeholders as necessary and appropriate
- Ensuring that key project goals are met and customer expectations are well-represented and managed
- Achieving project goals while establishing and maintaining effective relationships between customers, staff, and others
- Keeping all stakeholders well-informed and resolving issues where possible and escalating issues when appropriate
- Ensure that Epic team members have the tools and support necessary to successfully complete their work assignments
Manages staff performance and all activities for area of responsibility through subordinate staff. Responsible for hiring/terminating, salary planning, performance reviews, promotional recommendations, training/development, staff satisfaction, staff motivation, and disciplining when necessary. Works in conjunction with the business and clinical owners. Exercises autonomy in day-to-day planning and decision making. Creates and sustains highly engaged teams by establishing a positive work environment.
Authority/Decision Making Level
Negotiate and influence to build consensus with Business Directors/Managers/Staff on how to use the system more effectively and make changes that are beneficial to the requesting client without being detrimental to the other Systems/teams. This includes project planning, prioritizations and recommendations on software configuration.
Required Job Qualifications:
Education: Baccalaureate degree, in computer science, business or clinical related field or equivalent work experience. Professional certification(s) and/or related experience beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years’ experience-for-one year education basis.
Certifications: May be required to complete and pass certification in assigned Epic application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role.
- Seven years’ experience with appropriate computer systems and applications, as well as operational experience in a clinical or healthcare business field.
- Three years of supervisory/managerial experience
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree preferred
- PMP Certification preferred
- Previous Epic experience preferred
- Previous IT experience preferred
- Working knowledge of MS Project is strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Ability to establish and meet work schedules and project deadlines.
- Ability to work with diverse personalities and conflicting priorities to implement projects and tasks.
- Demonstrated expertise in project management and successful project implementations.
- Strong understanding of the application from Epic training
- Ability to delegate tasks to direct and indirect reports
- Ability to help resolve complex problems by providing their own expertise as well as leverage corporate or external expertise.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to effectively interface with department heads, university, hospital and health system personnel, vendors, consultants, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with staff.
Leadership (includes training and mentoring)
Participates in formal project teams that have JHM wide impact. These include but are not limited to the applications which this manager supports. Provide active, vocal feedback to those groups so that appropriate JHM decisions can be made without revisiting the issues. Network with other system users outside of JHM in appropriate forums (vendor user groups, WEDI, etc.) to gain knowledge of how specific issues, concerns and problems are handled in other organizations.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.