Requisition #: 186104
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: June 5, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
General Position Summary:
Demonstrates specialized knowledge of and expertise in relevant computer systems, applications, interfaces and business processes to deliver highly complex solutions for systems and application problems. Position divides time between lead duties and analyst duties (generally on a 50/50 basis). Lead and provide direction to assigned staff (composed of IT Specialists, Programmer Analysts, Senior Programmer Analysts, Software Engineers, Senior Software Engineers and Application Coordinators) for all tasks by reviewing work for technical viability and for adherence to institutional standards and guidelines. Lead assigned staff to implement and integrate various departmental and enterprise wide application systems (packages and/or home grown) into the current environment or new environments; and to support production application systems (including but not limited to modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications, operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools as well as performance of the application). Apply analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. Using functional specifications and designs, produce all or part of the deliverables. Maintain databases and application system code.
Provide technical leadership based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influence clients towards innovative/integrated solutions. Analyzes and resolves highly complex system integration problems. Responsible for full life-cycle of large sized complex projects which can span an entire department, division, or enterprise-wide level. For enterprise-wide level, typical projects impact the broader customer base of Johns Hopkins and its most mission critical systems. Projects often require interaction with various departments and teams both within and outside the department. Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions. (Redundant to leadership responsibilities) For project work, lead diversified staff in various environments. Interface with senior level IT management, department heads, JHM personnel, vendors and consultants while leading projects. Accountable for project outcome. Must achieve balance between orchestrating work of others and doing technical work.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
LEADERSHIP and Project Management Responsibilities
- Lead an assigned team of Programmer Analysts, Software Engineers, and Application Coordinators as well as others to implement various departmental and enterprise wide applications in the current environment.
- Lead at least one large project with high level expectations or have responsibility for multiple projects.
- Lead and provide direction to assigned team(s) as required for assigned projects.
- Review teams’ work for technical viability and for adherence to institutional standards and guidelines.
- Establish project timeline with appropriate stakeholders. Manage project to achieve agreed timeline.
- With guidance and direction, may assist or contribute to defining and monitoring the project budget.
- Develop improvement processes for operational use by the team to ensure successful completion of a project or IT process.
- Provide input for assigned team members’ performance evaluations.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and developments in the field.
- Incorporate and lead others in the use of the software development lifecycle to include analysis, design, development, testing, training, deployment, and maintenance of applications.
- Develop and maintain project documentation to include project proposals, charter, scope document, test scenarios, project schedule, and test plans, etc.
- Supervise the use of approved data gathering and presentation tools.
- Supervise the project management process groups, which include initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and control, and closing.
- May prepare status and project reports.
- Provide monitoring and guidance in application design and development to more junior staff. Give direction and leadership in techniques and tools to junior level staff. Supervise the communication, engagement, and encumbering of other resources needed to complete the project (i.e., Storage analysts, Enterprise Services, Help Desk, Disaster Recovery resources, etc.)
- Communicates to individuals, teams, business owners, inside and outside the project.
- Ensures that Project Management processes are followed
- Ensures Interdependencies are documented and managed
- Helps teams focus on Deliverables
- Helps teams understand their Deadlines
- Manages and Exposes the Critical Path
- Ensures Project Documentation Exists, is properly stored and can be easily accessed
- With the Managers and Directors, control the scope
- Educates and coaches other project members and works with minimal supervision in support of team members on tasks.
- Reports project issues and staff performance issues to Principals and management.
- Contributes to Project prioritization across the enterprise
- Provides Weekly status reports to Directors and Managers
- Provides Monthly status report to staff
- Coordinates and negotiates deliverables requested by the Internal audit department
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Employs excellent analytical skills to define highly complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Demonstrates advanced proficiency in creating audience appropriate, detailed documentation, including recommendations for operational and/or system changes and improvements. Documentation includes but is not limited to system designs, procedures, process and data flows, project plans, and/or SBARs.
- Gather highly complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
- Functions as a senior liaison to the system users and stakeholders to translate complex clinical and or business requirements into technical requirements, data flows and process flows.
DESIGN , DEVELOPMENT and APPLICATION CONFIGURATION
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the highly complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for highly complex application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document highly complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate highly complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Prepares the Application Go Live plan
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes, test to ensure change success, resolve issues, and communicate status.
- Provide ongoing, high quality support to stakeholders by providing timely and courteous service.
Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
Five years of related work experience with computer systems and applications.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Knowledge in the assigned application as well as the platform on which it runs.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Ability to delegate tasks.
- Ability influences others and garner buy in.
- Ability to build effective teams to execute projects.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet work schedules within limited time frames and under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work off hours as needed in support of changes to the computing environment
- Proven success on meeting project deadlines and timelines.
- Participates in the specification, design, implementation, and management of multiple projects
- Strong technical skills.
- Strong ability to understand complex business processes.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.