Requisition #: 164868
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Category: Clerical and Administrative Support
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Feb. 13, 2018
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Full Time/40hrs. /week, Day Shift (8:00 AM – 4:30 PM)
Weekends not required
Responsible for providing secretarial support to the Anesthesiology department. Must function independently to support the Department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screens and prioritizes incoming correspondence, phone calls and visitors. Assumes responsibility for expediting requests/inquiries that do not require an administrative reply. Refers other inquiries to various levels of administrative staff as appropriate. May write routine correspondence.
- Collects, processes, and transmits information often of a sensitive nature to designated staff, physicians, community or other external agencies. May use highly sophisticated office equipment in completing tasks.
- Provides direct clerical assistance, as needed, to the Executive Office Manager if assigned to the Executive Offices, or assistance to clerical support staff of physician personnel. May provide assistance in completing tasks associated with the Credentials Committee, or the Hospital Board of Trustees, Medical Board, etc.
- Attends various departmental, committee or administrative level meetings as directed. May be required to record, transcribe and distribute minutes of meetings, or relevant issues discussed.
- Uses tact and discretion in contacting hospital staff of all levels, external executives, service organizations, government offices, etc. Conducts follow-up, schedules meetings and arranges meeting locations.
- Assists in training and guiding volunteer and ancillary clerical support staff.
- Recommends appropriate changes in office procedures, filing and record keeping systems in order to improve efficiency, productivity and cost effectiveness.
- Monitors office supplies and participates in evaluating office equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Work requires a high school level of educational development and one year of basic technical training in Secretarial Science, Business or closely related field and two years of previous experience.
- No certification, registration, or licensure required.
- Work requires the analytical skills to gather and interpret data in situation in which the information or problems are relatively routine.
- Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, greet visitors, and explain medical center polices, and/or relay messages to appropriate personnel. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients, visitors and/or medical center employees. More sensitive situation may be referred to others as appropriate.
Required Physical, Mental, and Visual Abilities:
- Work requires occasionally reaching and grasping objects.
- Work requires occasionally using a keyboard to interact with computer system.
- Work requires proofreading and/or reviewing documents.
- Work is generally performed in an office or clinical environment in which there is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.