Facilities Maintenance Mechanic
Requisition #: 191639
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Support Services (Services/Trades)
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Oct. 4, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
Performs inspection, maintenance and repair work on building systems and components. This work is performed under general supervision using the tools and techniques of various technologies, including electrical, carpentry, mechanical and plumbing.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High school diploma required; training in multiple trades programs at a vocational or technical school, college, or apprenticeship sponsor organization.
- 5 years related work experience in a multi-complex maintenance environment; the full-time equivalent spent in trades programs may count toward the 5-year work experience requirement.
- Knowledge of basic electrical, carpentry, mechanical and plumbing techniques, procedures and materials; knowledge of building elements and codes; knowledge of safety rules, procedures and practices, including the proper use of safety equipment as defined by OSHA and industry standards.
- Applies trades and safety knowledge indicated herein; safely uses tools and equipment indicated herein; ability to solve problems and manage information indicated herein.
- Requires proficient written and verbal English communication skills, at least on a high school graduate level, to interact with departmental/JHM staff.
- Work requires ability to use an electronic tablet device for tracking work hours and completion of work orders.
Required Physical, Mental and Visual Abilities:
- Work requires ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time.
- Work requires ability to load/unload and transport/position tools, equipment and materials & push/pull loaded hand trucks weighing up to 50 pounds.
- (this flexible “weight” condition does not prescribe “lifting” as a mechanism for moving equipment; therefore, it permits the supervisor/employee to determine the methodology and reasonable accommodations for “moving” such weight; otherwise, you must make clear that there is no other mechanism - & no reasonable accommodations - for “moving” the weight)
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases, hazardous materials, and pharmacological agents has little likelihood of harm when established health precautions are followed.
- Work requires the use of protective safety devices including, but not limited to, safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection, infection prevention apparel/apparatus, back belt.
- Work requires attention to detail.
- Work requires visual acuity.
- Work requires manual dexterity.
Day Shift, Full Time (40 hours a week) (7:30 AM – 4:00 PM)
Weekend work required, work every weekend
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 4940 Eastern Ave
- Works in shop and mechanical area environments with exposure to dust, heat, cold, noise and fumes.
- Work may be performed outdoors with exposure to extreme temperatures and other weather conditions.
- Gets into/works within confined spaces and in awkward positions.
- Works at heights of up to 30 feet above surface using ladders, lifts and equipment.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.