Financial Clearance Specialists I
Requisition #: 188293
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: June 19, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
Financial Clearance Specialist is responsible for all administrative and financial components of financial clearance. Financial Clearance components include but are not limited to eligibility validation, benefits verification, authorization, calculating patient responsibility, explaining financial responsibility to the patient’s family. Responsible for documenting pertinent information into appropriate systems. Requires integral communication with patients, insurance companies, department administrators, physicians, and other departmental staff to ensure the ideal patient experience. Level I typically is assigned to Medical Services, Rehab Services, and Audiology Services.
- Ensures all scheduled patients are financially cleared with health plans prior to the date of service to protect the financial well-bring of the organization.
- Validates and documents patient eligibility and ensures that scheduled services are a Covered Benefit to ensure patients are eligible for insurance coverage.
- Ensures all scheduled services are authorized and appropriate notification and/or referral is obtained prior to the date of service to ensure payment for services.
- Accurately calculates patient responsibility or patient estimate using appropriate tools; communicates financial responsibility to patient/guarantor prior to the date of service; attempts to collect patient responsibility; provides payment options and/or financial assistance screening (if necessary); and works with families to determine which payment arrangement works best for their particular situation in order to provide care to our families.
- Provides an excellent patient-centered experience to physicians, coworkers, patients and families and all other internal and external customers to provide a positive experience with JHACH.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- 2 years of healthcare experience in scheduling, registration, authorizations, business office, health plan, physician practice, surgery center or hospital in a business capacity.
- 1-2 years of experience working with health plan and payer authorization requirements and clinical policies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of third party payer requirements, computer literacy and customer service skills.
- Working knowledge of CMS and other governmental programs.
- __X__ Ability to move freely (standing, stooping, walking, bending, pushing and pulling) and lift up to a maximum of twenty-five (25) pounds without assistance.
- __X__ Category 2: Job classification is not exposed to blood borne pathogens (blood or bodily fluids) while performing job duties.
- Traditional office setting.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.