Laboratory Genetic Counselor
Requisition #: 188292
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: June 10, 2019
Serves as a resource for genetic information and provides genetic education for individual patients, families, physicians and inter- and intra-departmental colleagues. Guides case management flow for complex pre- and post- cytogenetic and molecular cytogenetic test ordering practices. Coordinates process improvement by assisting with selecting, ordering and interpreting results of testing performed by external reference laboratories to insure appropriate, timely and relevant service. Assuring up-to-date information of referred laboratory testing is provided for accurate ordering practices. Employees that are successful in this role possess strong communication skills, knowledgeable expertise in genetic evaluation, searching medical literature for individual and family counseling purposes.
Work Hours; Day Shift 8:30am-5:00pm
Work Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
- M.S. in genetic counseling.
- Minimum two years’ preferred experience in clinical genetics practice essential with experience in laboratory genetic counseling highly desired and a major asset.
- Must be ABGC/AMBG board-certified in genetic counseling.
- Auditory and visual acuity to assess patients and families.
- Must be able to understand and react effectively to the age specific needs unique to assigned patients.
- Effective educational and speaking skills.
- Ability to communicate complicated ideas effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates annual competencies related to Genetic Counselor skills based upon assigned responsibilities.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.