Healthcare Economics Specialist
Requisition #: 418633
Location: Johns Hopkins Health Care, Hanover, MD 21076
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Sept. 23, 2021
Johns Hopkins HealthCare (JHHC) is the managed care and health services business of Johns Hopkins Medicine, one of the premier health delivery, academic, and research institutions in the United States. JHHC is a $2.5B business serving over 400,000 lives with lines of business in Medicaid, Medicare, commercial, military health, health solutions, and venture investments. JHHC has become a leader in provider-sponsored health plans and is poised for future growth.
Many organizations talk about transforming the future of healthcare, Johns Hopkins HealthCare is actually doing it. We develop innovative, analytics-driven health programs in collaboration with provider partners to drive improved quality and better health outcomes for the members and communities we serve. If you are interested in improving how healthcare is delivered, join the JHHC team.
Citizenship Requirement: Please note that under the terms of a government contract, this specific position requires U.S. citizenship status to ensure compliance with the Department of Defense Personnel Security Program.
This can be a virtual work position depending on the State of residence. Must reside in one of the following to be considered: MD, VA, FL, PA, DE or District of Columbia
Reporting to the Director of Healthcare Economics, the Healthcare Economics Specialist will be responsible for the creation, development, and communication of Healthcare Economics reporting and capabilities; providing specialized analytics and data driven insights to myriad business units through the organization. This position collaborates with a group of Healthcare Economics professionals to support the organization’s goal of providing executive leadership with actionable intelligence related to the financial, clinical, and analytical performance of various lines of business within JHHC. This position is responsible for providing insights and recommendations using statistical and quantitative analysis coupled with explanatory and predictive modeling to drive focused decision making.
Task requirements for position:
- Develops financial reporting and analytics to measure ROI and support cross-functional initiatives
- Liaises between finance and IT to maximize effectiveness of data sources and quality; designs and codes predictive and other mathematical analyses
- Provides financial acumen and insight to financial close process including accrual estimates such as trend reporting, financial benchmarking, and ad hoc analysis
- Leads development and production of cost, revenue, and utilization reporting, incorporating both internal and external benchmarks
- Supports ad-hoc reporting and financial projects for business units throughout the organization
- Teaches and mentors junior staff to develop their technical and analytical problem solving skills
- Serves as a go-to for leaders and stakeholders throughout the organization to craft creative financial approaches to practical business issues
- Creates financial and predictive models to evaluate the feasibility and key success drives for new ventures, opportunities, and initiatives
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, actuarial science, or similar degree. Master’s degree or professional designation in a related field is strongly preferred.
- Requires knowledge of financial / accounting and statistical concepts as well as an extensive knowledge of spreadsheets and relational databases.
- Dedicated, hardworking employee who achieves maximum efficiency and productivity. An ability to suggest creative ideas that generate additional revenues and/or produce cost savings. Strong interpersonal skills are required to motivate staff members and others; to communicate general and occasionally sensitive and confidential information to all levels of internal staff and management as well as external customers. Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills to convey information relevant to a project to senior management.
- Bachelor's in Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, or other technical subject preferred, plus 3 years of relevant work experience. Master’s degree or professional designation in a related field is strongly preferred.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.