In House RN Contract - Interventional Radiology
Requisition #: 186743
Location: Sibley Memorial Hospital, Sibley Memorial Hospital, Washington, DC 20001
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: May 8, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Provides quality nursing care to the patients in the Imaging Services Department. Under the direction of the radiologist or cardiologist, assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, and documents patient clinical needs and responses to diagnostic, interventional, cardiovascular and therapeutic procedures. Monitors patients requiring moderate sedation within the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct patient care by assessing and monitoring the patient’s condition and initiating appropriate nursing intervention utilizing nursing procedures when required. Administers medication and contrast media as needed according to departmental procedures.
- Intervenes when a patient develops problems and in emergency situations provides appropriate resuscitative measures.
- Assists radiologists, cardiologists, and technologists with invasive procedures.
- Assists throughout the department with establishing venous access, IV problems, monitoring of critical patients, moderate sedation, and other nursing procedures such as MRI Pacemaker procedures, CCTA’s and others as necessary.
- Identifies patient education needs and ensures that all patients and families are provided with the knowledge necessary for safe and successful discharge. Verbally instructs patient and family regarding examination, treatment, and outcome. Documents education according to department and hospital protocol.
- Assists, when needed, with explaining procedure to patient and obtaining signature on Informed Consent Form for interventional or cardiovascular procedures. Obtains patient history pertaining to the procedure. Records information as appropriate.
- Documents in Epic, pre and post care, intra-procedural monitoring and medication, LDA’s, labs, or other patient care information when appropriate.
- Maintains emergency equipment in Imaging Services and the Cardiac Cath Lab to include oxygen, suction, stethoscope, and blood pressure cuff. Checks daily for the integrity of crash cart and check defibrillators. Checks integrity of emergency tray.
- Provides patient, family, or home care provider with educational materials concerning renal or biliary tube care, to include referrals to internal resources. Coordinates with patient/family/home care provider/other departments to provide supplies for care at home.
Sibley Memorial Hospital provides a smoke-free workplace.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.