Laboratory Manager - Core Lab
Requisition #: 188286
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: June 21, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
The laboratory manager is responsible for day-to-day operations of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine through implementation of strategy, policy, and action plans. Manages the ongoing analysis, development and implementation of methods and systems to improve overall efficiency and effectiveness of services and functions resulting in positive patient outcomes. Accountable for driving excellence throughout the assigned sections. Acts as a partner of the leadership team and participates in the strategic planning and the attainment of goals for each area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains high standards for quality of care and patient safety; evaluates all quality assurance activities including proficiency testing and performance indicators; implements performance improvement measures as necessary.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with mandatory education, regulatory requirements, and accreditation standards.
- Tracks data and conducts analysis to support evidence-based decision making.
- In conjunction with section supervisors, implements action /process improvement plans to address section errors.
- Aligns department goals and manages resources and budgets to meet JHACH's strategic objectives.
- Helps others understand the drivers of financial success for the department and the hospital.
- Maintains fiscal responsibility relative to capital and operating budgets, variance analysis, and trends in productivity, volume, acuity and service.
- Oversees and/or serves as a project lead in the implementation of strategies/initiatives; provides ongoing project management and status reports and ensures projects meet schedule, cost and objective targets.
- Coordinates activities and ensures continual compliance with regulatory standards (i.e. TJC, CMS, AHCA, etc.).
- Accomplishes human resources management objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling and disciplining employees. Communicates job expectations; plans, monitors, appraises, and reviews job contributions. Enforces policies and procedures. Ensures department is adequately staffed. Plans and reviews compensation actions and manages payroll records and costs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology, or a chemical, biological or physical science.
- 2 years of supervisory experience in a laboratory setting.
- 3 years in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Current Clinical Laboratory Supervisor License in all area(s) of responsibility from the State of Florida.
- Must have a certification in phlebotomy for manager of support services. Florida Supervisor licensure is not required for pre-analytical processes.
- SBB (ASCP) certification eligible for Transfusion Services.
- Valid Florida Driver’s license with clean driving record for Point of Care Testing.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Discretion in handling of confidential information.
- Record of demonstrating initiative, self-direction and independence of thought, coupled with a diversified and creative approach to problem solving.
- Sound administrative skills including experience with financial and personnel management.
- Knowledge of computers, Microsoft Office and laboratory information systems.
- __X__ Ability to move freely (standing, stooping, walking, bending, pushing and pulling) and lift up to a maximum of twenty-five (25) pounds without assistance.
- __X__ Category 1: Job classification is exposed to blood borne pathogens (blood or bodily fluids) while performing job duties.
- Climate controlled laboratory setting.
- High risk of exposure to hazardous/biohazardous materials including blood and body fluids and occasional exposure to communicable diseases.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.