Material Handler I
Requisition #: 192032
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Support Services (Services/Trades)
Work Shift: Rotating Shift
Work Week: Limited (20 - 29)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Aug. 30, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Patient Dietary Services
Limited/ 20 hrs./week, Rotating Shift
Responsible for picking up and delivering supplies, equipment and materials, transports patients and maintains supply records.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Picks up and delivers supplies to offices, wards, clinics and other buildings both on and off hospital grounds using skids, pallets, carts, hand trucks, automobiles and trucks.
- Covers regularly scheduled mail route; hand delivering mail, specimens and supplies to city agencies and non-city agencies and offices.
- Loads and unloads equipment and supplies from trucks and automobiles; verifies invoices.
- Delivers linen carts to floors; return empty carts to supply; picks up soiled linens for delivery to laundry.
- Loads and transports infectious waste to incinerator.
- Uses a van to transport individual patients, staff or groups between Hospital buildings, office, etc.
- Rearranges or transports office furniture and equipment.
- Completes and maintains non-complex reports and work records.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Work requires a high school level of educational development and one year of previous experience.
- A valid Maryland Class C driver’s license is required.
- Work requires the analytical skills to gather and interpret data in situations in which the information or problems are relatively routine.
- Work requires the ability to understand and respond to simple written or verbal instructions. Incumbents must respond appropriately to instructions, questions, or requests for information. Work occasionally requires contact with patients and/or visitors which involves courtesy.
Required Physical, Mental, and Visual Abilities:
- Lifting and/or carrying objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Pushing and/or pulling non-motorized equipment (e.g., stretchers, supply carts, mops) weighing over 50 pounds.
- Stooping and bending.
- Reaching and grasping objects.
- Using a keyboard to interact with computer system.
- Walking and/or standing for extended periods of time.
Work is generally performed in an office or clinical environment in which is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.