Medical Assistant - Ambulatory
Requisition #: 183326
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Category: Nursing Support/Patient Care
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Sept. 9, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
The Medical Assistant provides patient centered, specialized, evidence based care across the continuum through an interprofessional approach to treatment, research, education and advocacy. Performs tasks and designated procedures to keep the flow of physician practices running smoothly. Duties of medical assistants vary from office to office, depending on the location and size of the practice and the practitioner's specialty.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients
- Uses computer applications, answers telephones, greets patients and verifies appointments with patients by phone as needed to facilitate access and patient care
- Updates patient EMR, completes paperwork as required, takes medical history and vital signs, completes initial medication reconciliation and prepares patients for examination to facilitate patient flow in clinic
- Participates in patient and family education, answering questions regarding follow-up appointments, etc. to ensure family has good understanding of care plan
- Assists the physician during exams, collects and prepares laboratory specimens, performs basic laboratory tests including obtaining blood specimens as required, disposing of contaminated supplies, and sterilizing medical instruments to provide a safe environment for patient
- Independently maintains daily maintenance of exam rooms, medical and laboratory supplies to meet patient care needs
- Demonstrates ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team to facilitate quality care
- Ability to establish rapport with patients and families from a variety of cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds in order to provide family centered clinical care
- High School Diploma/GED
- Completion of Medical Assistant Certificate or completion of Medical Assistant Schooling with one year of pediatric acute care experience
- Current BLS certification, AHA
- __X__ Ability to move freely (standing, stooping, walking, bending, pushing and pulling) and lift up to a maximum of twenty-five (25) pounds without assistance
- __X__ Category 1: Job classification is exposed to blood borne pathogens (blood or bodily fluids) while performing job duties
- Uses computers throughout the day
- Hazardous Materials Exposure - probable contact; see department specific M.S.D.S.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.