Medical Technologist -Full Time-Evening 2nd Shift( $7500 SIGN ON BONUS)
Requisition #: 196991
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work Shift: Evening Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Oct. 11, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, and international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
The laboratory medical technologist performs routine and specialized tests independently or with minimal supervision in one or various sections in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Recognizes the clinical significance of each test performed and reports results within established time frames. Actively supports the department’s continuous quality improvement and customer service goals through modeling of appropriate behavior and by providing a work environment conducive to attaining these goals.
- Follows clinical laboratory testing procedures and policies in the performance of routine and specialized tests; identifies source and nature of test problems and makes appropriate recommendations as to course of action
- Participates in training of students and new members of the laboratory staff in lab testing procedures
- Applies scientific method in problem solving and assists in the evaluation of new methods and techniques
- Able to perform minor troubleshooting on instrumentation
- Ensures quality control criteria are met and adheres to established laboratory policies for handling hazardous substances
- Ensures a clean work area and technical clean up at the end of each shift; ssists in maintaining sufficient supplies at each work station
- Follows compliance mandatories, regulatory, and accreditation requirements
- Associate’s Degree in Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technology
- For Cytogenetics only: Bachelor of Science Degree; Board approved training program in Cytogenetics at the technologist level or one year of clinical laboratory experience in Cytogenetics
- For Cytogenetics only: American Society of Clinical Pathology, Cytogenetics CG (ASCP) AND State of Florida Clinical Laboratory Technologist license in Cytogenetics. Clinical Laboratory Technologist License in all areas of responsibility from the State of Florida or Clinical Laboratory Technologist license in at least 1 area of responsibility with a Technician License in all other area(s) of responsibility from the State of Florida
- Clinical Laboratory Technologist License in all areas of responsibility from the State of Florida or Clinical Laboratory Technologist license in at least 1 area of responsibility with a Technician License in all other area(s) of responsibility from the State of Florida
- Ability to participate in one or more project teams
- Ability to understand and react effectively to the age-specific needs unique to patients
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Possess knowledge of and the ability to use computers, automated instruments, and mechanical apparatus
- Ability to meet deadlines
- __X__ Ability to move freely (standing, stooping, walking, bending, pushing and pulling) and lift up to a maximum of twenty-five (25) pounds without assistance
- __X__ Category 1: Job classification is exposed to blood borne pathogens (blood or bodily fluids) while performing job duties
- Must have the manual dexterity and visual acuity necessary to prepare specimens and perform clinical and microscopic analyses
- Climate controlled laboratory setting
- High risk of exposure to hazardous/biohazardous materials including blood and body fluids and occasional exposure to communicable diseases
- Long periods of standing and/or sitting at instruments or hoods
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.