Network Technician-Networking, Telecom and Data Center
Requisition #: 169669
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: May 27, 2018
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary:
With guidance and direction, diagnose and troubleshoot basic network, device, and data communications problems, install and replace network hardware, software and cabling, diagnose basic problems, perform and verify basic switch configuration tasks. May participate and contribute in technical discussions that involve basic infrastructure enhancements. Under guidance, interface with customers to understand their needs and articulate those needs to others.
Position is responsible for providing basic data & voice connectivity and troubleshooting device issues for customers throughout the Johns Hopkins enterprise. Job complexity includes basic network switch/router configurations/installations, printer replacement, phone/handset replacement, fixing data/voice jack issues, patching data cables, and interfacing with customers to understand needs. Typically, this job is focused on a primary Johns Hopkins campus; however this position is expected to travel throughout Maryland/DC to cover any Johns Hopkins location as required.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
NETWORK ANALYSIS AND DESIGN
- Perform basic analysis around data and/or voice communications by using appropriate tools to document needs of customers.
INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION
- Perform and verify basic switch configuration tasks by using standard tools to provide service to customers.
- Install network hardware, software, and cabling, including data jacks, by using established procedures and tools to deliver quality products to customers.
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project. Communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Select the appropriate media cables to interconnect switches and other related network devices by using established procedures and tools to deliver a stable network environment to customers.
MAINTAIN AND TROUBLESHOOT
- Troubleshoot basic network malfunctions that may be isolated to a specific department, floor or building by using provided procedures and tools to deliver successful solutions to customers
- Diagnose basic device issues by using provided documentation and tools to deliver successful solutions to customers.
- Replace faulty equipment by using provided procedures and tools to deliver working equipment to customers.
- Support and troubleshoot client VPN issues of basic complexity by using provided documentation and tools to provide successful solutions to customers.
- Under guidance, coordinate the installation of network cabling with Facilities and vendors by using documentation and tools to provide successful solutions to customers.
- May contribute and participate in technical discussions that involve basic infrastructure enhancements by attending meetings that identify successful solutions to customers
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED.
JHH: Related experience beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years experience-for-one year education basis
Required Experience: Two years of related experience.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Demonstrated track record of the ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues in a positive manner.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated track record of exemplary customer service skills.
- Basic understanding of data communication principles.
- Basic understanding of the OSI Model
- Basic familiarity with network troubleshooting techniques.
- Basic understanding of network traffic management concepts
- Basic understanding of DHCP and DNS services
- Demonstrated understanding of IP Addressing
- Demonstrated understanding of common operating systems (Windows, Linux, MAC, etc.)
- Ability to articulate and explain the function of network switching or how layer 2 technology functions.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.