OB Surgical Tech PRN
- Requisition #:
- Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
- Support Services (Services/Trades)
- Rotating Shift
The Surgical Technician, under the supervision of an RN, provides technical support to the Operating Room team including anticipating surgeons’ instrumentation and equipment needs, set-up and take-down of operating rooms and equipment, restocking of supplies stored in the unit and instrument maintenance.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Employee demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her unit as indicated by the following:
- Demonstrates ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs.
- Identifies the physical, motor, sensory, cognitive and psychosocial characteristics for age group(s) served.
- Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to provide the care needed as described in the job description and the department's scope of service for the patient groups under his/her care.
Age group(s) served will be one or more of the following: Infant (Birth to 12 months), Child (13 months to 12 years), Adolescent (13 years to 17 years), and Adult (18 years to 69 years).
- Acts as scrub tech for cesarean sections and other surgical procedures, which may include vaginal deliveries performed during the assigned shift. May stand for prolonged periods to assist the surgeon with instrumentation.
- Prepares LDRs for delivery including, checking supply levels, setting up tables, and preparing infant unit.
- Stocks patient care areas. Orders and restocks sutures and supplies, in accordance with established guidelines, to avoid shortages.
- Prepares the equipment and instrumentation needed for each OR case. Properly transports, maintains and stores instruments and equipment.
Other duties as delegated by the Registered Nurse and as certified as competent.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school graduate or equivalency.
- Completion of a Surgical Technologist training program including clinical experience.
- Six months or greater of recent Operating Room experience preferred.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS:
Certified by the Association of Surgical Technologists, The National Board of Surgical Technology, the Surgical Assisting Liaison Council Certificate of Surgical Technology or the National Center for Competency Testing is required. BLS card is required from the American
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for our patients, visitors and staff members. The Johns Hopkins Hospital has a tobacco-free at work policy. Employees must refrain from using any tobacco products during their work shifts — including while at lunch or on breaks, and whether they are on or off campus.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.