Paramedic - Emergency Center Per Diem
Requisition #: 185335
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Category: Nursing Support/Patient Care
Work Shift: Rotating Shift
Work Week: Casual (less than 20)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: May 6, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
Performs routine patient activities and delegated patient care procedures of a specialized and technical nature. This may include observing and monitoring patient condition, identifying changes in collected patient data and notifying nurse, setting-up and maintaining specialized clinical equipment, knowledge of aseptic technique, collecting blood specimens and performing related, delegated nursing procedures.
- Supports the Emergency Center in direct patient care of patients with diverse injuries and illnesses
- Functions as a defined team member in the resuscitation of trauma and critical care patients
- Utilizes critical thinking to bridge the gap of paramedic and nurse/physician evaluation of patient illness, injury, and presentation
- Recognizes and intervenes within the defined Scope of Practice during situations that may place the patient and family at risk
- Provides expertise to patients by collecting data, documentation of interventions, and performs treatments required for pediatric patients under the direction of the registered nurse to ensure safe patient care and to assist to prevent morbidities of intervention for illness and injury
- Performs skills such as intravenous fluid therapy, phlebotomy, EKGs, urine catherizations, point of care testing, and other skills within their scope as delegated
- Supports the orthopedic service in direct patient care of injured patients with immobilization and splinting to ensure safe care of the injured patient
- Ensures that the correct supplies are readily available to staff for efficient patient care
- Supports the day to day operations of the emergency center under the direction of the RN staff and team members with admission, discharge, and transfer of patients throughout their stay
- Assists with daily department functions including daily room checks, scope of practice procedures, documentation, and emergency medical procedures
- Adheres to all hospital and departmental safety regulations, disaster plans, infection control, policies, fire safety regulations, and biohazard material disposal
- Participates in departmental and hospital quality and performance improvement and safety projects
- High school diploma / GED
- 2 years in an acute healthcare setting/prehospital environment with direct patient care
- Licensed Paramedic certification required in the State of Florida
- Ability to communicate and relate well to people of diverse backgrounds, training and experience.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.