CNA- 4 South Med/Surg/Onc 36 hour days
Requisition #: 182098
Location: Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
Category: Nursing Support/Patient Care
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Part Time (30 - 39)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: April 23, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
The Nursing Assistant – Float Pool performs direct patient care tasks under the direction of the Registered Nurse and performs various tasks as competency documentation designates. Work occasionally requires internal contacts outside the work group to exchange relevant information. Communication with external contacts involves providing or giving factual information.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Employee demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her unit as indicated by the following:
- Demonstrates ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs.
- Identifies the physical, motor, sensory, cognitive and psychosocial characteristics for age group(s) served.
- Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to provide the care needed as described in the job description and the department's scope of service for the patient groups under his/her care.
Age group(s) served will be one or more of the following: Infant (Birth to 12 months), Child (13 months to 12 years), Adolescent (13 years to 17 years), Adult (18 years to 69 years) or Geriatric (70 years and older).
As delegated by the Registered Nurse:
- Takes and records patient's vital signs, including pulse oximetry and pain level screen.
- Documents patient input and output (I/O).
- Transports samples such as urine, blood, and sputum to the laboratory.
- Provides assistance to patients with activities of daily living.
- Provides comfort and safety measures, assists with personal hygiene, and turning and positioning of patients.
- Identifies potential medical emergencies and reports to RN immediately.
- Performs remote video monitoring of patients after training and competency validation.
- Reports variances/changes in patient status to appropriate patient care team member.
- Stocks patient care areas.
- Picks up meal trays.
- Performs duties in a manner that is consistent with the hospital’s core values and the language of caring habits.
- Attends mandatory departmental meetings, hospital in-services, and continuing education programs to keep informed of new developments affecting hospital initiatives and his/her area of expertise.
- Participates on Continuous Improvement Teams as required. Performs tasks necessary for maintenance and improvement of his/her functional area within the department.
- Maintains effective, timely lines of communication with his/her supervisor and co-workers.
- Maintains acceptable attendance and punctuality in order to maximize his/her contribution to the organization in accordance with hospital policy.
- Acknowledges his/her ultimate responsibility is to directly or indirectly serve the needs of every patient as defined in the HCGH Mission Statement.
36 hours per week
07:00 -7:30 PM
Every third weekend
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Previous experience in providing patient care in a health care setting.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Current Certified Nursing Assistant in Maryland.
- Current CPR certification.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.