Patient Financial Services Director - Hospital & Physician Billing
Requisition #: 181814
Location: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: May 31, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
The Patient Financial Services Director is responsible for the development, direction, coordination and execution of the key revenue cycle operations for hospital and physician billing and collections. The position leads the continuous transformation of hospital and physician charge review, billing, claim edits, collections, denial management, cash posting, credit balance, customer service, and physician coding. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with all aspects of applicable regulations, payor billing and reimbursement practices. The Patient Financial Services director works closely with the patient access, physicians, institute leaders, and ambulatory operations to maximize the quality and efficiency of key revenue cycle operations.
- Directs patient financial services for centralized billing operations related to hospital and technical billing and accounts receivable; including: physician coding, claim edits, payment posting, credit balance, outsourcing (agency assignments), vendor management, customer service and all collection related activities for both insurance and self-pay responsibility (claim status, denials, appeals, underpayments) and leads operational improvements to ensure the efficient, compliant and expedited billing, coding, cash posting, credit balance review, customer service and collection of physician or hospital revenue.
- Ensures departments are meeting or exceeding KPI’s and ensures that actions plans are developed and implemented when not meeting metrics.
- Forecasts operational needs and applies lean methodology in developing annual department budget to reduce costs and ensure fiscally responsible operations.
- Develops highly functioning team through successful hiring, mentoring, training and coaching of team members in order to achieve the highest level of competency of leadership and staff.
- Works collaboratively with other departments and leaders to expand services and provide the highest quality experience for our patients.
- Directs IT projects within department to create and maintain processes that leverage system functionality, automation and standardization.
- Responsible for the coordination of activities and ensures continual compliance with regulatory standards and hospital and departmental policy and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum five years of management experience in physician and hospital billing and collection.
- Minimum two years experience developing and implementing billing and collection operational systems procedures and directing the management of revenue cycle staff and operations.
- Strong knowledge of patient accounting and billing systems and experience in maximizing system operations to improve workflows and reduce manual intervention.
- Excellent computer skills with intermediate or better use of Excel (i.e. sorting, pivot tables, graphs, etc.) and other reporting/analytical tools, including presentation proficiencies.
- Excellent customer service and customer satisfaction skills.
- Understanding of laws and regulations as they pertain to billing and collection functions.
- __X__ Ability to move freely (standing, stooping, walking, bending, pushing and pulling) and lift up to a maximum of twenty-five (25) pounds without assistance.
- __X__ Category 2: Job classification is not exposed to blood borne pathogens (blood or bodily fluids) while performing job duties.
- Works in a climate controlled office environment.
- May be required to work evenings and weekend hours to accomplish goals and objectives.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.