Perinatal Genetic Counselor
- Requisition #:
- Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
- Allied Health/Clinical Professional
- Day Shift
The Perinatal Genetic Counselor is responsible for providing genetic counseling, education, and management for high-risk obstetrical patients as well as act as a resource under the direction of the Maternal Fetal Assessment Center’s physicians. The counselor performs case preparation, follow up and management for each patient. Must be able to accurately and completely document interactions and findings of counseling session(s) to provide information to other clinicians and physicians. Ability to work independently, and with minimal supervision to assure safe, timely, and efficient delivery of service
24 hours; day shift, no weekends
- Master's degree (M.S.) from a graduate program accredited by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (A.B.G.C.).
- One (1) years recent counseling experience in prenatal counseling required.
- Must attain certification as a genetic counselor (C.G.G) from the American Board of Genetic Counseling (A.B.G.C.) within two years of hire date. Must maintain accreditation by completion of the required CEUs for the prescribed periods.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients
- Demonstrates ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs.
- Identifies the physical, motor, sensory, cognitive and psychosocial characteristics for age group(s) served.
- Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills.
- Constructs, analyzes, and conveys findings of family pedigree in the case of high-risk pregnancies.
- Discusses options with patients and physicians regarding genetic risk factors of prenatal patients.
- Conveys risk of a genetic condition with total accuracy to the patient, requiring a depth of knowledge of genetics and good communication skills.
- Assists with decision making utilizing counseling skills and a non-directive approach that is respectful of patient's feelings and beliefs.
- Consults with medical staff to obtain or provide pertinent patient information.
- Participates in regular multi-disciplinary team conferences.
- Prepares and updates materials used in patient education for individual patients and all educational programs.
Join an amazing global healthcare organization!
Excellent compensation package!
Awesome benefits, including dependent tuition reimbursement!
JHM prioritizes the health and well-being of every employee. Come be healthy at Hopkins!
Diversity and Inclusion are Johns Hopkins Medicine Core Values. We are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment, where we embrace and celebrate our differences, where all employees feel valued, contribute to our mission of serving the community, and engage in equitable healthcare delivery and workforce practices
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.