Senior Director of Nursing - Johns Hopkins Surgery Center Series
Requisition #: 296827
Location: Johns Hopkins Surgical Center Series, Baltimore, MD 21201
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Oct. 27, 2020
The Johns Hopkins Surgery Center Series is the combined legal entity that represents the Ambulatory Surgery Centers within Johns Hopkins Health System. Every year, thousands of patients choose Johns Hopkins for needed surgeries from simple, minimally invasive procedures to complex and exacting operations involving several surgical specialties. Our surgeons perform a high volume of complex procedures supported by caring staff to achieve the collaborative approach to patient care.
- Bel-Air Surgery Center (Ophthalmology Associates) – Bel-Air, MD
- Lutherville Surgery Center (Ophthalmology Associates) – Lutherville, MD
- Green Spring Station Surgery Center (Pavilion III) – Lutherville, MD
- Knoll North Surgery Center – Columbia, MD
- Bethesda Surgery Center (Suburban Outpatient Surgery Center) – Bethesda, MD
- White Marsh Surgery Center – Nottingham, MD
6 Locations; 14 Operating rooms; 10 Procedure rooms; 212 Active surgeons and proceduralists; Perform 31,800 cases annually
All of the ASC’s provide care for both local patients and a significant number of out of state and international patients.
The Senior Director of Nursing will provide strategic and administrative leadership for Johns Hopkins Surgery Centers Series.
The Senior Director of Nursing leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of nursing standards at JHSC to support both existing and new surgical or procedural ambulatory surgery programs in support of JHM and JHSCS’s strategic mission. The Senior Director leads, manages, and evaluates systems and processes that support JHSCS nursing and related clinical practices. In addition, the Sr. Director of Nursing for JHSCS will provide consultation for ambulatory surgery programs within the Johns Hopkins Health System.
The Sr. Director of Nursing leads and manages clinical operations and initiatives of the JHSCS patient care delivery system to achieve established productivity, quality, safety and experience performance parameters.
Accountable for the development and monitoring of the JHSCS nursing budgets. Assures cost-effective use of resources.
The Senior Director of Nursing reports directly to the VP and Chief Administrative Officer of JHSCS and Sr. Director of Perioperative Services for JHHS.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Master's degree in nursing from an accredited school of nursing.
- Certified Administrator of Ambulatory Surgery Center (CASC) preferred
- Registered Nurse License in the State of Maryland or compact state OR able to acquire, required.
- Ten years of clinical nursing with at least five years in progressive roles in nursing leadership and at least five years in ambulatory surgery setting.
- Experience leading large complex projects required
- Experience in an Academic hospital highly desirable.
- Experience in a highly matrixed organization highly desirable.
- Experience with strategic planning and execution.
- Demonstrates and role models authentic leadership behaviors.
- Directs the implementation, monitoring, evaluation of leadership and nursing practice and care based on evidence.
- Knowledge of current health care environment / Knowledge of Services Excellence principles and behaviors
- Knowledge of the science of patient safety and quality improvement processes.
Essential Job Functions
Nursing Practice – Assures the appropriate application of standards of practice and standards of care.
- Directs the implementation, monitoring, evaluation of leadership and nursing practice and care based on evidence
- Develops the JHSCS Nursing Strategic plan.
- Integrates research and non-research evidence and contemporary health care trends into management of care.
- Anticipate customer needs and initiates action to meet those needs
- Responds quickly and appropriately to customer requests
- Maintain skill and knowledge appropriate to population served
- Works with Leadership to ensure staffing requirements, competencies and education is completed.
Performance Improvement / Safety
Continually assess and improve the performance of care and services provided
Compliance - Patient Services Leadership
- Participate in and comply with ongoing regulatory and accreditation readiness activities.
- Analyzes complex data sets to address clinical, operational and personnel management issues. Skilled at using computer programs to analyze and interpret data. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Develops and implements work plans and measures against established standards. Proactively monitors key performance indicators and makes real-time adjustments to ensure goal accomplishment. Consistently seeks to improve work processes, evaluate workflows, and improve workflow efficiencies.
- Translates JHSCS business strategies into clear objectives and tactics for workgroups and employees.
- Establishes high standards and ambitious goals to achieve quality outcomes. Achieves results even when faced with challenges and setbacks.
Goal Management- Relates to the development of ASC goals
- Incorporates Ambulatory Surgery Centers strategic planning and focus into departmental goals as appropriate
- Promotes teamwork by integrating individual difference, resolving competing interests, and safeguarding the essential contribution each must make in order to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Contributes to development and monitoring of center’s nursing budget.
- Authorizes the purchase of items. Develops and monitors nursing and ancillary health budget for JHSCS. Assures cost effective use of resources.
Problem Solving/ Decision making
- Handles diversity of operational and personnel problems
- Authority for decisions within JHSCS based upon established guidelines. Acts as a nursing leader.
Human Resource Management and Development
- Participates in the professional development of health care colleagues, students and guests
- Assures effective and consistent application of personnel policies
- Listens to customers’ needs and responds in a courteous and tactful manner, provides timely feedback.
- Leadership and Accountability.
- Facilitates the identification and resolution of clinical, operational and personnel management problems through the application of negotiation and communication skills.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.