Senior Product Manager
Requisition #: 189867
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: July 16, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
Johns Hopkins inHealth is giving researchers the ability to discover new patient subgroups, and giving clinicians the ability to deliver new insights into their clinical practice. We are doing this at scale and across a broad range of diseases.
The Senior Product Manager will be responsible for one or more technology solutions, as well as the success of early participants in the inHealth Precision Medicine program (known as Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence). In addition, the Senior Product Manager will mentor other product managers.
This position reports into the Johns Hopkins Medicine Technology Innovation Center. This is who we are:
- Thrive in an interdisciplinary team-based environment
- Are comfortable with ambiguity, and are also willing to take task-based direction on projects
- Are not intimidated by working directly with university stakeholders at a world class university to design and develop software applications
- Have some background knowledge rooted in the higher education industry, and are relentlessly curious to know more
- Would like to know your work is improving students’ lives and making university systems function better, and you’d like to see this in action
- Are comfortable with feedback, and enjoy completing multiple iterations of your work before it becomes an enterprise-ready product
- Don’t take yourself too seriously, and enjoy a collaborative environment with lots of whiteboards and Post-It notes
- We are designers, developers, project managers, and business leaders
- We’re passionate about creatively tackling challenges facing clinicians, patients, students, faculty, and staff through software development
- The software we design and develop facilitates communications, monitoring, analysis, and/or education for clinicians, patients, students, faculty or administrators
- We prioritize work on software applications that have the greatest potential to positively impact success
- We aim to disrupt while improving upon the status-quo
- Lead by Serving: be accessible, attentive, and accommodating to the team and our customers
- Challenge what’s Usual: take initiative, be relentless, and stay curious
- Take a Team-Based Approach: stay passionate about learning technology from each other and co-innovate
- Partner with students, faculty, and university administration to identify and study the primary audiences
- Analyze existing workflows of those audiences and ensure the application integrates with daily tasks of primary users
- Work with Product Development Leads, Designers, and Software Developers to lead stakeholders in design sessions for feature prioritization and feedback
- Deliver a minimum viable product for users that also allows for testing and iteration
- Support and maintain the application, while also providing assistance to the users in maximizing the application’s positive impact
- Work with the team to design and execute additional phases of work as needed
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Preparing new research and clinical groups (Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence) for participation in the inHealth Precision Medicine program;
- Ensuring that the experience of Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence matches their expressed goals and the expectations of stakeholders;
- Identifying and tracking success metrics for Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence;
- Refining the overall process for launching and managing Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence
- Defining product development roadmaps based on the needs of the clinical and medical research community at Johns Hopkins. This includes the ability to:
- prioritize requirements based on estimated impact to users, cost to implement, and availability of existing solutions;
- measure and evaluate the success of solutions;
- present roadmaps and progress to executive stakeholders;
- perform project management duties (using Agile development methodologies) to ensure that product development aligns with the product roadmap, on schedule and within budget;
- Ongoing tracking of performance and customer satisfaction of the product(s);
- Providing Tier 2 or 3 customer support for tools in the individual’s products and creating documentation to enable Tier 1 customer support by other groups;
- Contributing to the mentorship of other product managers individually and as part of the Product Management Community of Practice.
The solutions and initiatives the individual will be responsible for will include:
- One or more analytical products designed for medical researchers or healthcare providers. This may include components of the Precision Medicine Analytics Platform used for data discovery, analytics, clinical decision support, or patient education;
- Engagement with and project management for one or more early-adopter research groups (Precision Medicine Centers of Excellence), to ensure they meet the pre-requisites for working with the analytical environment, to ensure their continued success with the environment for a specified period, and to ensure a smooth transition to long-term customers of the Precision Medicine Analytics Platform.
To accomplish these duties, the individual will:
- Coordinate work with IT and non-IT professionals from multiple groups, drawing resources from within and outside the central IT organization in coordination with other managers;
- Be based in East Baltimore (adjacent to the Johns Hopkins Hospital) but will work with customers and colleagues at multiple sites in and around Baltimore.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Product management experience on a commercially available product, or in the clinical, medical research or higher education space;
- Experience working with Agile, Lean, or similar software development methodologies;
- Leadership skills with ability to negotiate and work collaboratively;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and organization skills;
- Must be able to work closely with customers, understand, and translate their functional needs into technical requirements
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: 7+ years
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.