Senior Respiratory Resource Therapist
Requisition #: 188335
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: June 24, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
This position reports to the Director of Respiratory Care Services. Responsibilities include, not limited to, support to designated research study(s); operational and clinical practice support; including direct clinical care. May require off-campus work hours, extra training and pertinent certifications. Collaborates with the research study advisor(s), principal investigator(s), study team members, respiratory leadership, RCPs, and the multi-disciplinary team. Supports operational and clinical safety, and strategic initiatives approved by the department director.
- Provides direct fixed clinical support for designated approved research study(s). May include off-campus duties as determined by designated study(s).
- Provides department operational support and respiratory clinical practice support. Examples include, not limited to: Documentation and billing audits; patient and family service rounds; safety and education related responsibilities; disease specific support duties; ED-observation unit support, Pediatrics and Peds-ED support; clinical resource capacity, and/or support an emergency team i.e. Code/RRT/Trauma, in combination with other operational or clinical practice duties
- Maintains clinical competencies of more than one respiratory core team and includes all job elements of each core team. Duties determined by annual cascading departmental goals; patient volumes and staffing needs; research duties, and as assigned.
- Works collaboratively to optimize safe, evidence-based pulmonary and respiratory care services. Works cooperatively and interacts professionally with patients, family members, physicians and all allied health support and staff, treating all with dignity and respect.
- Participates in hospital-wide activities, meetings and committees related to the assigned research study, and as directed by the department director
Full Time, 40 hours per week
7:00am-3:30pm, weekend work required
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Respiratory Care Services
- A minimum of three (3) years of previous experience. Experience must include exceeding performance expectations on most recent evaluations and excellent attendance history. Flexibility of changing work duties and active professional employee engagement are essential.
- Work requires creativity and analytical skills to problem-solve with use of advanced scientific, mathematical, and/or technical principles. Has knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and have the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's clinical status and interpret information relative to the patient's conditions and age-specific needs.
- Work requires effective communication skills, patient education skills, and interpersonal skills. Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing; the ability to demonstrate empathy in stressful situations, and effectively collaborate with the multidisciplinary and research study team. Requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients, visitors and medical center employees; and may participate in sensitive situations.
- Work requires excellent computer skills, including respiratory and research documentation; and Microsoft software applications i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point
- Bachelor’s degree in respiratory therapy or closely related field is required. Must be a graduate of an AMA approved school of Respiratory Therapy. Must have current AHA Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification and remain current during employment.
- Obtain and maintain IRB-research training requirements and designated study-related certifications. COPD educator certification is required within first six months of hire. PALs certification and Asthma educator certification are highly desirable.
- Registration by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) is required. Must have and maintain an active Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) license by the Maryland State Board of Physicians. Must have and maintain active American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC) membership.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.