Shift Director-16 hrs/wk Evenings
Requisition #: 197002
Location: Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
Category: Nursing Management/Leadership
Work Shift: Evening Shift
Work Week: Casual (less than 20)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Oct. 15, 2019
The Shift Director is accountable to ensure the smooth operation of the hospital during his/her shift, and to facilitate problem resolution throughout the hospital. The Shift Director assumes responsibility and is accountable for the overall operation of all the units in the absence of the Unit Manager/Director on evening, night, weekends and holidays. The Shift Director provides clinical expertise and oversees management activities during his/her shift in consultation with the Unit Manager/Director for that unit, when appropriate. For matters of a serious nature, the Shift Director would consult with the Administrator on Call (AOC). Ensures a safe, healthful and pleasant environment for patients via appropriate staffing, resolution of problems inter-departmentally and intra-departmentally in a collaborative manner and may be required to communicate with external contacts to gather factual data
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited program of professional nursing. Master’s degree in Nursing or related field required (i.e., health care administration, or business administration). If Master’s degree is not in nursing, must hold BSN.
Qualified applicants can be placed in the position if they hold a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and agree to complete a Master’s degree in nursing or related field. Steady progress toward degree completion is defined as a minimum of 9 credits per calendar year from the time they begin coursework. Course work must begin within 6 months of moving into the position.
Effective July 1, 2016: Current managers with BSN degrees will be grandfathered and not required to get a Master’s degree to stay in the position, Current Managers without BSN’s must obtain BSN and cannot be grandfathered. After July 1, 2016 all managers hired after July 1, 2016 must have a BSN and agree to complete a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years clinical experience in health care setting required of which at least three (3) years must include administrative and supervisory responsibilities or equivalent in education and experience.
LICENCES & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a registered nurse by the State of Maryland.
- Must maintain current CPR certification.
- Nationally recognized certification in nursing administration and/or an appropriate specialty preferred.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.