Spanish Bilingual Financial Counselor
- Requisition #:
- Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Day Shift
The Spanish Bilingual Financial Counselor provides financial counseling to uninsured and underinsured referred patients at pre-service, time-of-service, and/or post service. The Bilingual Customer Service Coordinator will communicate with non-English speaking patients to assure accurate communication, understanding and comprehension related to care coordination.
Full time, 40 hours per week
Day shift, Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
Location: On Site:
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, MD
- High School Diploma or GED
- Certified Application Counselor (CAC) certification within 6 - 12 months
- Candidates must successfully pass the required JHM approved designated language assessment prior to job offer.
- Informs patient/guarantor of his/her financial liabilities and collects appropriate patient liabilities, including co-payments, co-insurances, deductibles, deposits, and outstanding balances prior to or at time of service
- Initiate payment plans using Johns Hopkins Medicine matrix for patients expressing difficulty/inability to pay liabilities
- Performs activities related to financial counseling for multiple patient types
- Provides information and education to the patient, family member and/or guarantor of the application/documentation process; encourages patient participation in the funding process and assists the patient in forwarding the required documentation and application to the appropriate funding agency
- Works with contracted vendors/agencies to qualify applicants
- Performs payment collection and customer service functions
- Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient financial interactions, which may be via face to face, virtual, and/or phone, demonstrating knowledge of Johns Hopkins Medicine and service offerings
- Act as a liaison to Patient Financial Services to resolve any questions or problems of a financial nature related to admissions/registrations
- Screening of true self pay patients and underinsured patients (e.g., Medicare only, high-dollar services, high deductibles, uninsured) for additional funding sources
- Ensures proper and accurate documentation of information in hospital data systems. Updates all information related to encounter into the appropriate online computer system on a real time basis
- Enter and/or update insurance information on the account as needed
- Communicates with various hospital departments about patient account status to obtain information to ensure maximum reimbursement, utilizing knowledge of third-party payer and assisted care regulations
- Collects payment at pre-service and time of service, including co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles for Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Provide pre-service financial counseling assistance and proactively pre-plan patient financial responsibilities prior to time of service, collect payment prior to service using sliding scale deposit or copayments/coinsurance, and informs patient of responsibilities due prior to visit
- Gather, scan, and send all supporting documentation (e.g. payroll stubs, tax returns, credit history, etc.), as required for funding
- Initiate an application via the Maryland Health Connection Website to determine eligibility potential for Maryland Medicaid, Qualified Health Plans, Financial Assistance, or other specialty funding program
- Assist patient with Charity Care applications and setting up contracts with patients for out-of-pocket expenses
- Patient Education
- Accurately calculates patient deposit requirements and/or estimated balance. Appropriately informs patient or their representative of amount due and makes arrangements for collection prior to service or at time of service
- Provide patients with price estimates upon request via the patient estimates tool to support Johns Hopkins Medicine customer service experience
Please review our wonderful benefits package that include full medical, dental, and vision plans as well as tuition reimbursement for you and your dependents at https://jhh.mybenefitsjhhs.com/
Ask about our Employee Referral Program Bonus!
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for our patients, visitors and staff members. The Johns Hopkins Hospital has a tobacco-free at work policy. Employees must refrain from using any tobacco products during their work shifts — including while at lunch or on breaks, and whether they are on or off campus.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.