Sr Epic Project Manager
Requisition #: 171615
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: June 27, 2018
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary:
The Senior Project Management expert applies professional principles, practices, and techniques to lead project teams and control project scope, schedule, cost, quality and performance risks to ensure satisfied customers. This role has ultimate responsibility for all assigned projects and manages customer satisfaction, definition, planning, monitoring, and others aspects of a project.
This position reports to the PMO Director, or their designee, who will assign projects. The position will matrix manage analysts assigned to specific projects and is accountable for the success of the projects which can include direct management of the analysts. This Sr. PM will also be responsible for mentoring Project Managers or Project Leads in managing complex Health IT projects. This Sr. PM will manage multiple projects and lead a diverse staff in a variety of environments. Projects can span an entire department, division, or the entire enterprise. Projects may be clinical, financial, or administrative in nature. This position will interface with senior level IT, operational and clinical management.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. They include everything in the Project Management position plus added strategic, planning and management responsibilities. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
- Responsible for strategizing, planning and maintaining an assigned portfolio of projects that includes full life-cycle of large sized, complex projects which can span an entire department, division, or enterprise wide level.
- Support overall program management portfolio planning including leading timeline discussions, new system evaluations and budget planning.
- Lead and mentor an assigned team of technical, clinical, and vendor personnel. Provide direction to both direct reports and other teams as required as part of assigned projects.
- Provide oversight and review teams’ work for technical viability and for adherence to institutional standards and guidelines.
- Establish project timeline with appropriate stakeholders. Manage project to achieve approved timeline.
- Develop new or improved PM practices for the organization to guide project or IT process.
- Provide input for assigned team members’ performance evaluations.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and developments in the IT and PM field.
- Lead others in the software development lifecycle to include analysis, design, development, testing, training, deployment, and maintenance of applications.
- Develop and maintain project documentation to include project proposals, charter, scope document, test scenarios, project schedule, and test plans, etc. Prepare project status and reports.
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Supervise the communication, engagement, and encumbering of other resources needed to complete the project (i.e., Storage analysts, Enterprise Services, Help Desk, Disaster Recovery resources, etc.)
- Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions. Act as the first point of escalation and resolution for business concerns for portfolio.
- Integration management - the practice of making certain that every part of the project is coordinated
- Scope management – ensuring that the requirements, details, deliverables, and processes included in the scope are clearly defined and that changes in scope are reviewed, approved, and documented.
- Time management – management of resources, activities, schedules, and deadlines, expose the critical path.
- Cost management - cost estimating and budgeting
- Quality management - outputs of different processes are measured against some predetermined acceptable measure
- Human resource management – Establishing roles and responsibilities, managing project organization, and staff management planning
- Communications management - keeping the project’s stakeholders properly informed throughout the entire project
- Risk management - identify project risks and also plan how to respond to the risks if they occur
- Procurement management - obtain goods or services from an outside organization
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Define highly complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Research existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications. Participate in or lead new IT system evaluations.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly complex projects to ensure a successful product is delivered on time and on budget.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the highly complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document comprehensive test plans that include highly complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Supervise all changes by using the appropriate highly complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes, test to ensure change success, resolve issues, and communicate status.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters degree preferred.
- Required to complete and pass certification in assigned Epic application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role
Eight years of related work experience with project management, healthcare, computer systems or applications.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- PMP certification
- Healthcare Information Technology or Operational leadership experience
- Experience with Epic applications
- Experience with integration technologies (HL7, FHIR etc)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Have lead at least one large project with high level expectations or have responsibility for multiple, concurrent projects.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Ability to delegate tasks.
- Ability to influence others and garner buy in.
- Ability to build effective teams to execute projects.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Write and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet work schedules within limited time frames and under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to work off hours.
- Proven success on meeting project deadlines and timelines.
- Participates in the specification, design, implementation, and management of multiple projects
- Strong technical skills.
- Strong ability to understand complex business processes.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.