Sr. Network Technician
Requisition #: 365163
Location: Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: May 10, 2021
SR NETWORK TECHNICIAN
REQUISITION ID 365163
WORK LOCATION: Johns Hopkins Hospital, 711 Rutland Avenue, Baltmore, MD 21287
The Sr. Network Technician will diagnose and troubleshoot moderately complex network, device, and data communications problems, install and replace network hardware, software and cabling, configure and validate network switches. Participate and contribute in technical discussions that involve network infrastructure enhancements. Interface with customers to understand their needs and articulate those needs to others.
Position is responsible for providing basic to moderately complex data & voice connectivity and troubleshooting device issues for customers throughout the Johns Hopkins enterprise. Job complexity includes basic to intermediate complex network switch/router configurations/installations, small to medium project management tasks, troubleshooting basic to moderately complex device support issues and interfacing with customers to understand needs. Typically, this job is focused on a primary Johns Hopkins campus; however this position is expected to travel throughout Maryland/DC to cover any Johns Hopkins location as required.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
NETWORK ANALYSIS AND DESIGN
- Lead and coordinate small- to medium-sized routine projects (e.g., moves, adds, changes within existing infrastructure) by outlining specific tasks for a defined project to deliver service to customers.
- Gather customer requirements by meeting with customers to convey to supervisor/manager the information gathered in a clear and concise manner.
INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION
- Configure and validate network switch configurations inclusive of VLAN configurations by using established procedures and tools to deliver quality products to customers.
- Install network hardware and software including data jacks by following provided documentation and tools to deliver quality products to customers.
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project. Communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution
MAINTAIN AND TROUBLESHOOT
- Troubleshoot moderate network malfunctions (e.g. entire floor of building loses network connectivity or network speed) that may be isolated to a specific department, floor or building by using provided procedures and tools to deliver successful solutions to the customers.
- Diagnose moderate to complex device issues by using provided documentation and tools to deliver successful solutions to customers.
- Replace faulty equipment by using provided procedures and tools to deliver working equipment to the customers.
- Support and troubleshoot client VPN issues of moderate complexity by using provided documentation, experience and tools to provide successful solutions to customers.
- Coordinate the installation of network cabling with Facilities and vendors by using documentation and tools to provide successful solutions to customers.
- Contribute and participate in technical discussions that involve moderate to complex infrastructure enhancements by attending meetings to provide successful solutions to customers.
Required Education: High School Diploma/GED. Additional experience may substitute for education.
JHH: Related experience beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years experience-for-one year education basis
Required Experience: Four years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Demonstrated track record of the ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues in a positive manner.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated track record of exemplary customer service skills.
- Strong understanding of data communication principles
- Moderate to strong understanding of OSI Model
- Strong familiarity with network troubleshooting techniques
- Strong understanding of network management principles
- Strong understanding of how DHCP and DNS services work
- Demonstrated understanding of IP Addressing
- Strong knowledge of public vs. private IP addressing schemes
- Demonstrated understanding of WAN, routing techniques, and packet analysis
- Ability to articulate and explain the fundamental differences between layer 2 and layer 3 functionality
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot simple IPv4 routing issues for routes located at remote facilities (small edge routers)
- Strong understanding of VLANs and demonstrated ability to configure and validate.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.