Sr. Nurse Manager - Inpatient Psychiatry
Requisition #: 295705
Location: Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
Category: Nursing Management/Leadership
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Oct. 21, 2020
- Nurse managers are responsible for managing one or more defined areas of patient care services. Nurse managers advocate for and allocate available resources to promote efficient, effective, safe, and compassionate nursing care based on current standards of practice. They promote shared decision-making and professional autonomy by providing input - their own and that of their staff - into executive-level decisions, and by keeping staff informed of executive level activities and vice versa. Nurse managers coordinate activities between defined areas, and provide clinical and administrative leadership and expertise. They facilitate an atmosphere of interactive management and the development of collegial relationships among nursing personnel and others. They serve as a link between nursing personnel and other healthcare disciplines and workers throughout the organization and within the healthcare community.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited program of professional nursing.
- Master’s degree in Nursing or related field required (i.e., health care administration, or business administration). If Master’s degree is not in nursing, must hold BSN.
Qualified applicants can be placed in the position if they hold a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and agree to complete a Master’s degree in nursing or related field. Steady progress toward degree completion is defined as a minimum of 9 credits per calendar year from the time they begin coursework. Course work must begin within 6 months of moving into the position.
Effective July 1, 2016: Current managers with BSN degrees will be grandfathered and not required to get a Master’s degree to stay in the position, Current Managers without BSN’s must obtain BSN and cannot be grandfathered. After July 1, 2016 all managers hired after July 1, 2016 must have a BSN and agree to complete a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years clinical experience in health care setting required of which at least three (3) years must include administrative and supervisory responsibilities or equivalent in education and experience.
LICENCES & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Current licensure as a registered nurse by the State of Maryland.
- Must maintain current CPR certification.
- Nationally recognized certification in nursing administration and/or an appropriate specialty preferred.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.