Sr. Systems Engineer
Requisition #: 186331
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Information Technology
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: May 24, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
General Position Summary:
Provides technical leadership, project management, and task execution for administration, programming, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental and enterprise wide multiple platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems, related utilities/services, and hardware products as well as the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment. Conducts systems performance evaluations, monitoring, patch management and security evaluations. Analyzes user needs in various computer environments (including but not limited to mainframe, Windows, and mid-range) and makes recommendations for products and services that meet those needs. Ensures that all systems environments are maintained in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
SYSTEMS ANALYSIS/DESIGN (ENVIRONMENT/PLATFORM)
- Design highly complex business, clinical, education, or infrastructure solutions by meeting with customers to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation and diagrams of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues. Assist lower levels to effectively use the system's technical software.
- Design highly complex solutions that conform to institutional policies, standards, and guidelines, and infrastructure environment and to vendor and industry best practices to deliver a quality product.
- Select infrastructure applications that reside between end user applications and hardware operating systems by working with vendors, customers, and other sources (i.e., opensource or Internet2 initiatives) to provide configurable tools to the customers.
- Assign and lead technical systems analysis and design tasks for assigned environments and platforms.
INSTALL AND CONFIGURE
- Install and configure highly complex server hardware and operating systems by following technical documentation to provide a working product. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Evaluate, implement, and manage appropriate highly complex software and hardware solutions by using best practices for the environment to ensure system integrity. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Install and configure infrastructure applications by following product installation and configuration directions and industry best practices to deliver a solution to the customers. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Ensure a effective schedule is developed of system backups and archive operations by providing leadership, oversight, and direction to technical team in best practices for the environment to ensure data/media recoverability. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Lead and provide direction to technical team for all of above tasks by reviewing work and adherence to institutional standards and guidelines in order to deliver projects on time and within budget to the customers
MAINTAIN AND TROUBLESHOOT
- Provide highly complex server level administration (manage HW/SW, maintenance, upgrades and patches, account maintenance, backups and recoveries and assist users) by following documented procedures to ensure a stable environment. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Monitor and tune the system by following documentation and procedures to achieve optimum performance levels. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Develop highly complex scripts and solutions by using departmental standards to automate systems management. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Perform highly complex system software upgrades including planning and scheduling, testing, and coordination by following documentation and departmental standards to provide a stable product for the environment. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Audit and maintain user access and authorization by following access and authorization documentation to provide for system security.
- Generate and maintain highly complex periodic and ongoing system specific reports by using appropriate tools to assess system performance, integrity and capacity in order to deliver a stable environment to the users. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Follow and maintain IT security awareness and best practices by understanding security principles as they pertain to environments supported in order to deliver secure solutions to customers. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Utilize system management and monitoring tools and incident tracking systems by following documentation and standards to detect incidents, take corrective actions, and determine root cause. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Monitor changes and resolve any incidents by responding to problems as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Lead and provide direction to technical team for all of the above tasks by reviewing work and adherence to institutional standards and guidelines in order to deliver high quality maintenance and troubleshooting to the customers.
PROJECT COLLABORATION AND LIFECYCLE PARTICIPATION
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Lead effort to develop RFP’s by engaging project team members in the process in order to develop well defined requirements to potential vendors for proposed solutions.
- Evaluate vendor proposals by reviewing requirements for the product to select the most appropriate vendor. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Lead vendors, consultants, and inside Enterprise groups in developing applications by meeting with the team on a regular basis to deliver quality products to customers. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Lead scheduled project team meetings by attending all meeting to provide input to the project team.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end user reference. Provide direction to lower levels.
- Lead technical team in test planning, test scenario construction, and test sessions appropriate to the changes being implemented by following testing guidelines to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way. Provide guidance and direction to lower leves.
- Review test results and corrections to all changes by following institutional and departmental testing standards to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
- Participate in Institutional and Departmental committees and initiatives.
- Lead and provide direction to technical team for all of the above tasks by reviewing work and adherence to institutional standards and guidelines to ensure collaboration and communication with team members and customers.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree. Additional experience can be substituted for education.
JHH Equivalency Formula: For jobs where equivalency is permitted, relevant experience may be applied towards the education required for the respective job at a rate of 1 year of education for 2 years of experience.
Required Experience: Six years related experience.
- VMWare ESX – This is our primary hosting platform, and a successful candidate will need to demonstrate knowledge of supporting VMWare ESX.
- Blade Infrastructure – We are looking for a candidate that has experience supporting hardware from one of the major blade manufacturers. Examples are CISCO, Dell, and HPE server blades. Currently most of our infrastructure is CISCO UCS.
- Public Clouds – We are looking for candidates that have experience using MS Azure, Amazon AWS, or Google Cloud. We are currently leveraging Azure as our primary platform
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.