Requisition #: 191078
Location: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201
Category: Allied Health/Clinical Professional
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: Yes
Date Posted: Sept. 3, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
JOHNS HOPKINS BAYVIEW MEDICAL CENTER
Responsible for performing a wide range of ultrasound medical diagnosis, equipment operation and related duties.
II. Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Competently operates ultrasound equipment to generate appropriate anatomic detail supporting a diagnostic exam.
2. Effectively determines necessary probe arrangement to demonstrate anatomy or anatomic variations and measurements.
3. Effectively enlists patient assistance to vary their position in order to complete the exam.
4. Has working knowledge of anatomy and physiology as demonstrated in resulting images.
5. Thoroughly understands views and settings necessary to acquire a diagnostic exam.
6. Communicates findings of exam to interpreting physician. Understands all requirements for completing a thorough exam supporting the sonographer’s preliminary findings.
7. Works with patients, physicians, and other staff members to accommodate needed exams in a timely manner.
8. Processes orders and completes exams in the Meditech computer system.
9. Offers support to other technologist including peers and training staff.
10. Assists physicians during interventional exams by performing scans or preparing sterile field.
11. Insures that all equipment is kept clean and all precautions are taken to insure that no cross contamination occurs between patients
12. Performs exams outside of the Ultrasound Department after transporting equipment as needed.
13. Insures that inventory is maintained and charges are complete up completion of exams.
14. Functions autonomously without immediate supervision for performing exams.
15. Communicates preliminary finding to order physician as necessary.
III. Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Work requires the level of knowledge typically acquired through completion of occupationally specific education or an Associate’s degree in radiologic technology and less than six months of previous experience. Sonographers may be cross-trained from a Radiologic Technologist position after an evaluation of the individual’s commitment to seek certification.
2. Sonographers must have successfully graduated from an accredited Sonography School and be registry eligible in either Abdominal and/or OB only. (Certification in vascular is a plus.) If the individual requires a minimum number of cases in order to become registry eligible, and have completed their training, they may be hired on a conditional basis. All registry eligible technologists will become certified by the ARDMS (American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography) in Abdominal and/or OB within 18 months of hire. Individuals failing to meet this qualification will be reduced to a tech assistant status, and may not remain eligible to scan. CPR certification is also required.
3. Work requires the analytical skills to resolve problems that require the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles.
4. Work requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and provide empathy in difficult interpersonal situations.
DAY 08, 8:30 am - 5 pm
Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend: On Call Only
Location - Johns Hopkins Bayview Med Ctr
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.