VP- Budget, Financial Analysis & Decision Support- Johns Hopkins Medicine
Requisition #: 188615
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD 21201
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: June 17, 2019
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. When joining the Johns Hopkins Health System, you became part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. Great careers continually advance here.
Reporting to the Chief Financial and Chief Operating Officer of John Hopkins Medicine (JHM), this newly created position will have primary responsibility for leading the budgeting (operating and capital budgeting), financial analysis and planning, and financial decision support activities of JHM. S/he will have significant cross-functional interaction with the Chief Financial Officer of both the Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation (JHHSC) and School of Medicine (SOM), the Treasurer of JHHS, and functions and departments across the enterprise. Additionally, a strong professional relationship with the financial leadership of the University, of which the SOM remains a part, will be important.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading and further integrating the annual operating and capital budget process across the Health System, School of Medicine and their joint ventures.
- Development of the timeframes and budget assumptions and communication of such to individuals involved throughout the process.
- Development of systems and methodologies to be employed in the process.
- Leading the integration of financial with non-financial JHM data to develop fuller analytical and forecasting capabilities.
- Establishing operating, capital and cash flow targets, preparation of presentations to the Board and other committees as well as serving as primary financial and analytical support to Operating Divisions throughout the process.
- Serve as leader of JHM Finance in the identification of its strategic priorities for timely information and analysis and then lead the finance department in the partnering with IT in the realization of those strategies.
- Working with the JHM Treasurer and others in developing interim forecasting and annual long-term financial planning processes, including the development of models to project net income, cash flow, balance sheets, and financial ratios. Reconciling projections from interim and long-term processes with annual budget targets. With senior management, establishing and maintaining systems for linking interim, annual and long-term processes throughout the year.
- Annual and interim evaluation of new program investment through the preparation of pro forma analyses and other analytical frameworks. Working with the affiliate CFOs and JHM Treasurer to incorporate into annual planning, budgeting, and forecasting processes.
- Providing leadership for establishing and maintaining routine systems for budget reporting, including, but not limited to:
- Executive dashboard
- Service line profitability analysis
- Payor profitability analysis
- FTE and labor productivity
- Organizational benchmarking efforts, including data gathering, data submission, analysis & interpretation, report preparation and user education/training.
- Ensuring consistency in the definition of metrics and KPIS as well as the reporting and response to them across the enterprise with respect to business metrics and KPIs.
- Minimum ten years of experience in a financial managerial role within a large healthcare system or similar environment.
- MBA or equivalent degree preferred.
- Prior experience in budgeting, financial analysis and decision support systems.
- Highly motivated with strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills.
- Self-confident with ability to interface with and develop consensus among multiple constituencies at varying levels.
- Able to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines; works well under pressure.
- Exceptional analytical problem-solving and strategic planning skills.
- Sound understanding of operations management and systems interfaces.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable with making presentations.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.