VP- Development/ Foundation - Howard County Hospital
Requisition #: 178123
Location: Howard County General Hospital, Columbia, MD
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Nov. 13, 2018
Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine is a comprehensive, acute-care medical center with 245 licensed beds specializing in women`s and children`s services, surgery, cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, gerontology, psychiatry, emergency services, and community health education.
The Howard Hospital Foundation’s (“Foundation”) purpose is to provide philanthropic support to Howard County General Hospital (“Hospital”), a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine. The Vice President for Development (“Vice President”) and the Foundation Staff are part of the Howard Hospital Foundation, the Johns Hopkins Development and Alumni Relations team, and the Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine.
The Vice President is the chief development officer for philanthropic activities who will function as Executive Director of the Foundation. The Vice President is responsible for planning, managing and executing all fundraising efforts for the Foundation in accordance with the philosophy, mission and strategic plans of Howard County General Hospital and Johns Hopkins Medicine. The Vice President is responsible for the daily administration and management of the Foundation, which includes but is not limited to strategic planning, fundraising, special events, marketing, accounting of all funds raised, hiring and supervising paid staff, recruiting volunteers, and managing business operations in accordance with standard business practices. In addition, the Vice President is responsible for the annual operating budget.
The Vice President reports jointly to the President and CEO of the Foundation (“Foundation President”) and the Associate Vice President for the Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine. Additionally, the VP works with the Foundation Board Chairman and the Foundation Board of Trustees to support and define its priorities, develop teamwork among Board members and other volunteer leaders, meet Foundation revenue goals, and ensure program and fiscal accountability.
- Work directly with the Hospital President, Foundation President, the Foundation Board Chairman, and the Associate Vice President to create a development vision and strategy for the Foundation that will meet capital campaign goals (currently $15 million) and increase fundraising results, as well as plan for future goals.
- Articulate fundraising priorities, goals and objectives. Develop an annual and long range operating plan, in conjunction with the Hospital and the Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine, to allow for implementation of the vision and strategy.
- Build a culture of philanthropy within the volunteer, prospect, patient and Hospital physicians and staff communities to ensure a lasting legacy of giving.
- Plan, implement, and manage a major and annual gift fund-raising program to meet priorities
- Coordinate access and utilization of Central resources available through the Development and Alumni Relations team, such as gift planning and research. Partner with development colleagues on donors/prospects with multiple Johns Hopkins affiliations or other strategic partners as practical given other priorities described herein.
- The Vice President will supervise and lead a team currently consisting of five team members. Provide guidance, direction and motivation to retain and nurture superior talent.
- Oversees all compliance requirements and financial plans for the Foundation in conjunction with JHM operating procedures and in collaboration with JHM central staff including maintaining official records and documents and an accurate donor database. Maintain fiscal responsibility for the Foundation's annual budget. Provide fiscal accountability and report regularly to the Hospital President, Foundation President and the Chairman and members of the Foundation Board.
- Act as a member of the Hospital’s executive leadership team by participating with peers from the Hospital in institutional decision-making and communicate regularly with them about the Foundation's plans and results.
- Assist the Foundation Board in maintaining and promoting the philanthropic vision and mission of the Foundation.
- Week night and weekend work required.
- A strong desire to associate with the Howard County Hospital, The Howard Hospital Foundation and Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine, and to champion the mission of the Foundation and Hospital.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Post-graduate degree in a related field highly preferred.
- Seven to ten years’ experience in major and principal gifts development, preferably in medicine, with a proven ability to cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts, ideally in a complex, multi-divisional organization.
- A minimum of two years of proven management experience.
- Superb major gift ability with a solid track record of securing six and seven-figure gifts. Experience identifying and securing planned gifts preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of educational and social backgrounds and to demonstrate an honest respect for each individual.
- A broad understanding of multi-faceted campaign planning, implementation and management.
- Ability to articulate and translate eloquently, the complex goals, mission and aspirations of the program for all audiences.
- Ability to mentor and manage development professional and administrative staff.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Medicine.