- Requisition #:
- Johns Hopkins Intrastaff, Bethesda, MD 20814
- Allied Health/Clinical Professional
Johns Hopkins Intrastaff is the internal staffing agency for the Johns Hopkins Health System and partner hospitals, providing temporary support to a variety of the Johns Hopkins locations. Our employees are the strength of our service. Intrastaff is unique because it's one of the very few agencies where a person has the benefit of being a temporary employee and also feels like a member of a large organization. Working at Hopkins means joining a culturally diverse team that includes some of the best nurses, physicians and allied health professionals in the world. Directly or indirectly, you'll have exposure to cutting-edge technology and groundbreaking medical research.
The Pathologist Assistant is responsible for assisting the Pathologists in Surgical Pathology. Works without direct supervision, performing professional duties associated with the examination and/or preparation of surgical pathology specimens.
Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, DC is hiring for a Pathology Assistant (PA/ASCP)
- Performs gross examination and dissection of all surgical pathology specimens, including complex surgical resections.
- Obtains all routine tissues for histological preparation and collects sterile samples of blood, body fluids, and tissue specimens for toxicology, viral, and microbiological studies as needed.
- Dictates a summary of the patient's clinical history and the gross anatomical findings in consultation with the pathologist's observation and gross diagnosis.
- Assists in training students in departmental procedures including specimen grossing and processing.
- Receives and accessions all Surgical and Cytology specimens, ensuring acceptability and resolves any specimen problems.
- Specimen photography and radiography as needed.
- Obtains specimens from the operating rooms and performs appropriate examination including frozen sectioning and reported gross.
- Follows established procedure for safe disposal of bio-hazardous waste.
- Insures adequate supplies used in the area. Cleans tools used in the section.
- Accurately completes all paperwork associated with the work of the section.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required to communicate effectively with health care professionals and other hospital personnel.
- BS/MS and graduation from a NAACLS accredited post baccalaureate Pathologists’ Assistant Training Program.
- 3 year’s experience
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, regularly required to walk, twist and bend at the waist, push or pull carts, and reach with hands and arms. The employee performs repetitive motions with wrists and neck. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 30 pounds independently. Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.