Clinical Laboratory Scientist I
- Requisition #:
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Columbia, MD 21044
- Evening Shift
The Johns Hopkins Hospital is a world-renowned leader in patient care, serving the greater Baltimore community and patients from all across the globe.
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff teams provide support throughout our many specialty departments and centers, from primary visits to emergency care.
What Awaits You?
- Career growth and development
- Tuition Assistance
- Diverse and collaborative working environment
- Affordable and comprehensive benefits package
Location: Johns Hopkins Howard County Medical Center, Columbia, MD
Weekend Rotations Required
***Will Consider Clinical Laboratory Scientist I, II or III***
- The Clinical Lab Scientist I (MLT/Medical Lab Technologist or Medical Lab Scientist) reports to Pathology Lab Manager, Supervisor or Lead (or assigned Charge). Handles assigned specimen pre-analytical and analytical tasks, performs selected routine laboratory tests and records and reports results following standard operating procedures, policies and regulatory guidelines. Sets up and maintains equipment; monitors quality control standards.
- Responsible for initiating or verifying proper actions are taken to resolve problems, provides expertise in processing and workflow of specimens.
- Where assigned reviews lab requisitions and collects pertinent clinical and insurance information.
- May perform data entry, pre-analytical set up, routine clerical and service duties as required. May support the laboratory inventory/ordering, and back-up to other tasks as assigned.
- Associates degree as MLT (Medical Lab Technologist) or BS degree in related field (Biology, Chemistry, etc.) with some lab experience/education internship or lab courses /qualifying towards lab certification.
- Completed MLT clinical rotations or MLT internship OR previous experience in a clinical or research laboratory.
- BS degree with related courses where good lab practices were taught; may also be considered.
Required Licensure, Certification, On-going Training:
- None required.
- For this level, certification from ASCP or other department-approved agency is encouraged but not required. CMS allows CLS 1 to perform testing with training/supervision of a CLS 2 or higher.
***Effective January 1st 2022, you must be fully vaccinated with an FDA COVID-19 vaccination and provide proof of your vaccination status as part of your occupational health screening. Exceptions to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement may be granted to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons by following the proper protocols. Effective 6/1/23, employees at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, its affiliate locations and Florida State Residents are not required to obtain the COVID-19 vaccine. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Johns Hopkins Health System remains committed to providing the highest quality care for our patients and our communities. We encourage you to explore our current opportunities.
***Authorization to Work in the United States: Applicants who require sponsorship now or in the future will not be considered for this position.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for our patients, visitors and staff members. The Johns Hopkins Hospital has a tobacco-free at work policy. Employees must refrain from using any tobacco products during their work shifts — including while at lunch or on breaks, and whether they are on or off campus.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.